Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Living in Vermont

Winter in New England is a great time to catch up on reading, declutter, make pottery, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Winter in New England is a great time to catch up on reading, declutter, make pottery, etc.
    Here, too, we can do it tho without feets of snow and months of freezing weather. Our gardens start to perk up in March. I think it us longer for you guys.

Although I will say I spent a few hours over the past two days cleaning up iris beds.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-4-23 at 10:54am.

Winters here in central Maine in the White Mountains are definitely milder than in Traverse City in Michigan. There is not so much snow, the temps are warmer, and there is more sunshine.

But the power companies there were infinitely better. We had no power 5 out of 7 days before Christmas. Some people did not get power back until after Christmas.

They do not seem to trim the damn trees around the power lines. Everywhere you look, there are trees growing through the lines. IN Michigan and South Carolina they were on it--I don't understand this place.

Yppej, both Maine and NH are more laissez faire than Mass or Vermont. I cannot see you happy in Vermont with the politics there. It's a whole lot more like Massachusetts, or even moreso.

New Hampshire and Maine seem a better fit.

And I love Brattleboro and would move there if I could, or preferably Bennington.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    You are wrong, in the Midwest in the winter we have plenty of sunshine. It is a bright sunny day today for instance and that’s not unusual.

But hot ‘n humid…yep!

Actually, as I think about it, the weather here is absolutely miserable so we want everyone to stay away, dont even think of moving here. Especially those from California.
    Okay----alla that is true. The sun is blinding on cold winter days. Also, they execute people who deviate from the norms, on a regular basis. The present Gov'ner was a country sheriff, from a small town that has a Baptist College. Yup. So yeah---it's no place for a blue-stater. Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Winter in Zurra is a great time to get out there and set fence posts, cut down dead trees, pull parts at the wreckin' yard. Yup.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Winters here in central Maine in the White Mountains are definitely milder than in Traverse City in Michigan. There is not so much snow, the temps are warmer, and there is more sunshine.

But the power companies there were infinitely better. We had no power 5 out of 7 days before Christmas. Some people did not get power back until after Christmas.

They do not seem to trim the damn trees around the power lines. Everywhere you look, there are trees growing through the lines. IN Michigan and South Carolina they were on it--I don't understand this place.

Yppej, both Maine and NH are more laissez faire than Mass or Vermont. I cannot see you happy in Vermont with the politics there. It's a whole lot more like Massachusetts, or even moreso.

New Hampshire and Maine seem a better fit.

And I love Brattleboro and would move there if I could, or preferably Bennington.
    Vermont is more libertarian than Massachusetts. There was no state mask mandate for schools - each could decide on their own when the statewide mandated ended and one district in the northeast kingdom never put one in. There are fewer building codes and regulations, nudity is accepted at swimming holes, etc, not that I want to go streaking.

Yppej
    Here is another house in Vermont with no running water, for those who doubted me last time that such a property could not be sold. Water source: Spring.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1_M41621-58201

If there is no running water, why do they have a dishwasher and a washing machine?

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    If there is no running water, why do they have a dishwasher and a washing machine?
    It's most likely a spring-fed well system, so I would assume that it is technically running water. Cute house! Rt. 30 is a very pleasant road, but a little more. heavily trafficked than typical small roads in VT. Concerns me that there are no pictures of the interior. At that price it's probably a fixer upper.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

What would the drive to work be like? How far, and what are the roads like?

Thread Information