Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Living in Vermont

Yppej

Living in Vermont

I am really liking my new job and the thought of moving closer to where I work has crossed my mind. This would put me in a tristate area - Western Mass, southwestern NH or southeastern VT. I rule out New Hampshire because property taxes are very high since there is no income tax or sales tax. I would like to be able to retire in the home, and those taxes would be too high then especially. Income taxes do not bother me as much since when you earn less you pay less.

Currently I live in Massachusetts, but I am not that familiar with Vermont. For those of you who live there or have recently, what is the cost of living like? What about quality of life? Is the Brattleboro overrun by the opioid epidemic as I have read online? How good is infrastructure - gig speed internet (I have Fios now), city sewer, trash pickup, plowing, libraries? Do you feel you get a good bang for your property tax buck?

Are there special state programs to help retirees? For example in Massachusetts there is a circuit breaker (don't know why it is called that) income tax break for seniors and in some towns the option to do volunteer work for the town to offset some of your property taxes.

My coworkers all live in Mass so are not a source of information.

As much as I love Vermont, I did not move here because it's retirement-friendly--because it's not. In this article, it's #38 in terms of retirement friendly states to live in.

Brattleboro is probably the biggest southeastern town to live in. It is a hippie-paradise, but it's a nice town and pretty accessible to other Southern VT towns like Manchester and Bennington.

I am willing to suck up the retirement disadvantages because it is an absolutely beautiful state--no billboards, quaint towns, friendly people for the most part--in short, a great quality of life. I have only lived here for 3 years, but vacationed here for 20 and it tugs at my heartstrings, but you have to move here for love, not money.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    Not a good rating, but Massachusetts is 44!

Yppej
    Not having luck in New Hampshire, I went to my first open house in Vermont. After driving a couple hours in part because I got lost I arrived and asked could I use the bathroom. Was told the house has no water but if it's an emergency the realtor will go to a nearby creek and get some water to flush with.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Not having luck in New Hampshire, I went to my first open house in Vermont. After driving a couple hours in part because I got lost I arrived and asked could I use the bathroom. Was told the house has no water but if it's an emergency the realtor will go to a nearby creek and get some water to flush with.
    Sounds like Vermont!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

How is a house with no water for sale?

It's probably winterized, so the pipes won't burst. Any vacant house would be here as it would not be heated, usually.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    It's probably winterized, so the pipes won't burst. Any vacant house would be here as it would not be heated, usually.
    Good guess, but the water is broken. $6000 estimate to repair, $13,000 to replace, and the buyer must pick up the tab. This is still a seller's market. Caveat emptor.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    As much as I love Vermont, I did not move here because it's retirement-friendly--because it's not. In this article, it's #38 in terms of retirement friendly states to live in.

Brattleboro is probably the biggest southeastern town to live in. It is a hippie-paradise, but it's a nice town and pretty accessible to other Southern VT towns like Manchester and Bennington.

I am willing to suck up the retirement disadvantages because it is an absolutely beautiful state--no billboards, quaint towns, friendly people for the most part--in short, a great quality of life. I have only lived here for 3 years, but vacationed here for 20 and it tugs at my heartstrings, but you have to move here for love, not money.
    And I just saw one of those Clickbait articles that had Vermont pretty high up for retirees, so I wouldn’t take any rating too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Good guess, but the water is broken. $6000 estimate to repair, $13,000 to replace, and the buyer must pick up the tab. This is still a seller's market. Caveat emptor.
    Would a mortgage lender even lend on a house like that with that kind of situation?
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-3-23 at 12:06pm.

Thread Information