Page 5 of 69 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting the vaccine??

Based on my reading of the vaccination priorities, I would be in the category "Anyone 65-74". I gather that I am therefore lower in priority than "frontline essential workers of any age". And I am higher in priority than "anyone 16-64 with a high-risk medical condition". (Sorry!)

In my rural community, the clinic web site states that there is no waiting list. The clinic says they will communicate out to the community when vaccines are available.

If there were a Walgreens pharmacy near me, according to the Walgreens website: "You will hear from your local health official or employer directly if you are eligible for a vaccine."

The CVS website states: "We'll let you know when COVID-19 vaccine is available... appointments will be required."

Yppej
    I support the early vaccination of corrections officers, who are essential workers. Inmates are not essential.

The argument for inmates was never that they were essential but it has been a major population for outbreaks, like meat packing plants, and nursing homes (very vulnerable residents but some in prison are in their old age now as well).
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I support the early vaccination of corrections officers, who are essential workers. Inmates are not essential.
    Troll.

I work at an assisted living facility and we were all offered the vaccine. Many are getting it; quite a few, including me, are not. I'm still not comfortable with any long-term effects that may pop up a few months or years from now. Of course, the chance of getting the virus is probably higher. However, all of us work in a sort of bubble; we're tested twice a week, wear PPE all day (goggles, gloves, N95 and surgical mask), and limit contact outside of work. If two people (employees or residents) test positive, the entire building is put on "lockdown" (residents restricted to their rooms). Positive cases in employees are sent home immediately for a certain period of time.

I'm sure the vaccine will become mandatory soon. When it does, I will get it. My elderly parents will get it when offered to them. I may regret refusing it but I'm going to wait and see how this all plays out. And yes, I've seen firsthand just how deadly this virus is. My life outside of work will still be lived with precautions.

As with any new vaccine this one(s) could turn out to cause longer-term problems. But for me the risk of that seems much less than the risk of longer-term problems from covid itself. The number of people like Tammy* who are "long haulers" or at least have ongoing symptoms (something like 75% of people is the figure I've seen) is scary enough that I'm more than willing to take my chances on either of the currently available vaccines.

I recall reading that when the polio vaccine first came out people were literally running to the doc's office to get the jab when it became available. I will be doing the same as soon as I am eligible for the vaccine for covid.

* I also have a dear friend who got it back in April when NYC had their massive surge. She was asymptomatic except that she lost taste and smell. Now, 9 months later she has serious fatigue and headache issues despite having had a very mild case originally. This virus is no joke.

Yppej
    The South African variant of the virus isn't as responsive to the vaccine. Source: CNN

It is now in 12 countries. When will it reach the US? With international flights in full swing, and testing frequently producing false negatives, probably any day now. Then it will spread around the country through domestic flights as our feckless government kowtows to the jet set and the airline industry with unlimited passenger flights.

This variant is currently in South Africa, the UK, Botswana, France, Australia, Germany, Switzerland, Sweden, South Korea, Finland, Ireland and the Netherlands. Lots of Americans went to Ireland during the pandemic because it was still open to tourists who have an inalienable right to travel the globe while people at home lose basic rights like being able to breathe freely without a mask or practice their religion by attending church.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen

"In other words, the Pfizer vaccine is likely to induce immunity that covers the two new more infectious variants originating in England and South Africa," he added.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen

"In other words, the Pfizer vaccine is likely to induce immunity that covers the two new more infectious variants originating in England and South Africa," he added.
    That's good to hear since DH got the Pfizer.

Yes, I will get it.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Thread Information