Page 11 of 69 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting the vaccine??

I would give almost anything to get the vaccine now (no I'm not going to try to find a vaccine on the black market sheesh I didn't say I'd turn to crime to get it). But very little hope of that until summer at least it seems (and then maybe it's mutates so the vaccine doesn't even work anymore). So I just try to make more and more peace with giving up the world. I really don't bother to hope for life after covid anymore as that just seems to bring on greater pain like anticipating a parole that never comes.
    Trees don't grow on money

I've heard rumors that if you turn up at Walgreens or similar just before closing, they'll shoot you up regardless of age. I have no idea if that's true or not.

I may try, heaven knows there is enough drug stores here but seems crazy shortage of vaccine even for priority groups.
    Trees don't grow on money

It’s interesting to see how the various US states are comparing in vaccination rates. I wouldn’t have expected West Virginia or North Dakota as leaders.

It’s also interesting to see how things are going in Europe. Apparently the UK signed contracts with the providers a few months before the EU. The EU then threatened to implement export controls to give their member states priority. Cooler heads eventually prevailed, much to the benefit of international contract law.

And apparently the recent New York AG report on COVID indicates that Gov Cuomo’s performance did not match his preening.

Well, DH called this morning and we are going in about an hour to get the vaccine. I was prepared to wait for months which would have been ok by me. Truthfully, I am a bit nervous. DH not so much. It is quite a shock that we can get in right away!!!! I talked to the new doc a few weeks ago and she said it would be a while. Don't know what happened? Snow and below zero temps are forecasted for the next 5 days..... wonder if there is a correlation???

I think all medical decisions are risk vs benefit. If it means I can see my grandchildren, I will get the one dose one when available here. I think the other thing about all vaccines and medications is that they are usually one size fits all and that is going to affect some people totally different than others. My main concern is that it seems to be problematic if given to people with coronavirus antibodies. I believe I may have had it last spring but never got tested.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Well, DH called this morning and we are going in about an hour to get the vaccine. I was prepared to wait for months which would have been ok by me. Truthfully, I am a bit nervous. DH not so much. It is quite a shock that we can get in right away!!!! I talked to the new doc a few weeks ago and she said it would be a while. Don't know what happened? Snow and below zero temps are forecasted for the next 5 days..... wonder if there is a correlation???
    Probably? All the vaccination clinics here got messed up so maybe they rerouted. I am glad you can get your immediately and fingers crossed for no reaction!

The technology has been around for 20 years
    No. The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are the first to use mRNA. mRNA has certainly been studied for a number of years, but there haven't been vaccines in arms until the last few months.

What is an adverse reaction?

What percentage of adverse reactions would dissuade you from receiving the vaccine?

Where would you get that data from?

What other objective criteria would be used in making your decision to receive the vaccine?
    I'm looking at: https://www.factcheck.org/2020/12/a-...id-19-vaccine/
    My personal comfort level is 6 months of data (widespread data, 40 people in phase 1 study is not sufficient for my comfort level).
    A good portion of folks report soreness/flu like symptoms, which is to be expected. I'm concerned about the cases for anaphalaxis. Anything more than 1 in 1000 would concern me. I'm also concerned that if the rna does not degrade as its supposed to, that it would be equivalent to a long lasting covid case and do organ damage. I don't know if the spike protein itself causes any damage, or if the damage is specifically from the body's reaction to the protein. So if the injected dose continues to have the body making this protein indefinitely, what happens? This is why I'm choosing (well not actually choosing since it isn't readily available to my age group) to wait a few months to see if these questions have answers.

40 people in a phase 1 is fine.

Phase I studies of a new drug are usually the first that involve people. Phase I studies are done to find the highest dose of the new treatment that can be given safely without causing severe side effects.

Phase II trials further assess safety as well as if a drug works. The drug is often tested among patients with a specific type of disease. Phase II trials are done in larger groups of patients compared to Phase I trials. Often, new combinations of drugs are tested.

Phase III trials compare a new drug to the standard-of-care drug. These trials assess the side effects of each drug and which drug works better. Phase III trials enroll 100 or more patients. Often, these trials are randomized. In the covid phase III trials there were many thousand individuals and they are double blinded trials.

Hubby used to work for Eli Lilly and heard a lot about clinical trials.

Thread Information