Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting the vaccine??

Lest I be disparaged as a science denier, Let me state ip front that OF COURSE I will get this vaccine when my turn comes.

But, I have some concern about the vaccine I’m getting being affective because I question:was it stored and handled correctly? Is the vaccine they put into my body useful for me? Is it useful to keep me from infecting others? And HOW,useful, if useful? And for how long?

I think would be good if sanctimonious social justice warriors not adopt this vaccine as the latest battle in their war. Shaming hasn't worked for masking up.

I have similar questions, and I think it's perfectly natural to have them. I'm not a science denier, but science has historically been wrong--thalidomide, anyone?--enough times to engender caution. I can stay out of circulation as long as I have to, but it would be nice to have the extra protection of an effective vaccine.

I don’t take the yearly flu vaccine because the benefit doesn’t outweigh the risks. However, Covid is a entire different animal and I will take it yearly if needed. I am assuming it will be.

Well it is still being given under emergency use authorization, so there is that, but apparently the bureaucracy is such that it would take a couple years to approve otherwise at which point it truly might be pointless.

Politicizing masks or other public health measures didn't start with social justice workers, it started from where most of the unnecessary chaos for the past 4 years have started, yea I can remember back a few months time.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Lest I be disparaged as a science denier, Let me state ip front that OF COURSE I will get this vaccine when my turn comes.

But, I have some concern about the vaccine I’m getting being affective because I question:was it stored and handled correctly? Is the vaccine they put into my body useful for me? Is it useful to keep me from infecting others? And HOW,useful, if useful? And for how long?

I think would be good if sanctimonious social justice warriors not adopt this vaccine as the latest battle in their war. Shaming hasn't worked for masking up.
    My concern is how it will react to whatever other medications you take (contraindications?)? Not all drugs interact well with each other. I, too, will takes my chances and roll up my sleeve. Living like this is hell!

My local hospital is connected to a major hub (Marshfield Clinic), The Marshfield Clinic website says there is no waiting list for COVID-19 vaccination (just be patient). We will communicate out to the community once the vaccine is available.

Currently frontline health care workers are getting the vaccine.

Generally I am proactive about deciding on vaccinations. But I don't see how a person in my rural community can be proactive about these COVID-19 vaccines (just be patient). In this state the vaccines appear to be distributed by a duopoly to a health care system which is organized into hubs and spokes. The state DHS maintains a website on COVID-19 which is updated daily, but the information on vaccination is only updated 1x per week.

We just got the new sign up system for the vaccine in our state, IN, Friday. Currently health care workers and over 80s can sign up. We signed up Mom and got Jan 20th as her date. There was a wait time online but it took us to the scheduling system, got her info, gave her a time. We were also able to register her with all her data online also so that should speed up the process at the hospital clinic.

The complaints people have made are on the wait time (mine was 39 minutes), the phone system being backed up, and not allowing couples to register together. Over 50,000 have registered so far.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I do not mean to be a smart aleck here I really don’t, but I’m going to ask in a general way: is there ever any large scale medical issue that doesn’t come with conflicting information to our society and to our communities?

You’re probably heading into traitor territory for the “Science is Real!*” folks. Beware! anti-vaccer in our midst! And etc.

*Science is Real!” Is one of many slogans on signs on my block.
    Anti-vaccer??? I said that we will be getting the vaccine "eventually" - meaning when it is our turn and available. Sorry if you misunderstood. My question has to do with what happens when 1 member of a household gets it before the other members. Again, if my dh gets it sooner (because of his job), what precautions may he still have to take to protect the rest of us in the household and others - until we are able to get it.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Sort of answering my own question, but - from what I have been learning - getting the vaccine will not change behaviors in our household - at least initially, as there seems to be the potential for those getting the vaccine to still be able to carry and pass on the virus to others. So, until the great majority of the population are vaccinated, I'm thinking my current precautionary behaviors will continue - i.e. mask wearing, social distancing, etc.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I looked this morning on CA’s web site and it turns out that SO and I will be able to get the vaccine at the same time despite SO being multiply high risk. I was kind of surprised but I guess it is what it is.

Thread Information