Page 7 of 69 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting the vaccine??

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I am in a great hurry as need to go into the nursing home on compassionate care visits to my mother. Also see my grandchildren and don't want to get them sick. WE are in their "pod" but we do have to go into the nursing home, and my granddaughter goes out to school. So as soon as I can get vaccinated I will, although probably will be after my birthday when I turn 65, and it won't be available to me til then,

At this point, I don't give a f*** about any side effects.
    yes, I can see that, which is why I’m stepping to the back of my line (not the back of the line for the population in general) because there are people like you who have a need for the vaccine asap.

I’m not very concerned about side effects because I tend to not get side effects from vaccination. I had a whole bunch of vaccinations in the year 2020 and didn’t even have a sore arm. Once I got a light case of flu from one of the flu vaccines, but that was unusual I think. I don’t really know though because I don’t regularly get vaccines, 2020 was the year I visited a physician.

I'll get the vaccine as soon as my state opens up the opportunity to old guys like me. My wife works daily with special needs kids and will also get the vaccine as soon as it's available to school workers, although we don't yet have any idea when that will be.

The manner in which various states are prioritizing their vaccine rollouts doesn't always make sense to me.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    The manner in which various states are prioritizing their vaccine rollouts doesn't always make sense to me.
    Same here, though I think various states are trying to figure out where the "bang for the buck" is based on information no one has.

I read that one state (I don't think it's Minnesota but it might be) was thinking about inoculating prisoners and prison workers early on (along with first responders and older seniors and institutional care workers) because the prison environment fosters such rapid transmission of the virus -- all of which gets responded to at state expense (until the workers bring the virus home and infect others and then it's on their insurance). Regardless of how one feels about preserving the lives of prisoners and prison workers ahead of others, from a purely financial standpoint it makes a certain sense. But it's no sure thing and there is the issue of pushing other deserving recipients further back in the line.

Lots of things we thought were true about COVID-19 turned out not to be so. We're still feeling our way. At one point we thought just getting groceries or our mail might infect us. There are thousands of never-used ventilators sitting in warehouses. No one has the answers right now.

A friend of mine is listed as the family caregiver for her mother in a nursing home; she (mid-40s; generally healthy; empty nester) has already received the vaccine because her mother's institution made it a requirement for the family caregivers (and provided it to her). DW is the family caregiver for her mother in a TCU/nursing home; they haven't said anything about requiring her to get the vaccine (her mom already has). Same state. Almost the same county (urban Minnesota).

Tough to figure out what should be done. And we may not know for some time which approach is best. Wonder what they did for the Spanish flu?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I joke that I will trample the really old people in walkers for one). Seriously I have signed up online being 66 and having asthma. I will take it as soon as I can. Especially with going to be living alone soon I want my life back.

Yppej
    Inmates are getting the vaccine in my state (I guess crime does pay), and healthcare workers who do not interact with patients, some of whom work completely remotely, are next but my parents in their eighties are SOL. Where are groups like the AARP that should be advocating for seniors?

My state is opening a second mass vaccination site. Both sites are in the eastern part of the state. The second is in downtown Boston, totally intimidating to access for people outside the city.

The central and western parts of the state should secede, just like West Virginia seceded from Virginia. Most of our tax dollars go to the eastern part of the state for wasteful projects like the Big Dig, we have terrible gerrymandering so most state legislators can live near Boston, but now lives are at stake.

My friend’s 90+ year old father, in a nursing home for several years, recently had Covid and recovered. Then they Gave him a vaccine. He died on .pSunday. She is blaming the vaccine.

Yppej
    I think vaccinating people who've already had covid is stupid and a waste of doses. They already have immunity. That's why their plasma can heal those sick with corona.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I think vaccinating people who've already had covid is stupid and a waste of doses. They already have immunity. That's why their plasma can heal those sick with corona.
    Don’t know if this is common in nursing homes, The standard recommended treatment or is something that this doctor did or?

Yppej
    It is standard overkill, why American healthcare is so overpriced.

Personally I think trusting the opinions of cranks that don’t think masks help reduce the disease is a mistake.

Thread Information