Page 52 of 69 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting the vaccine??

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    truthfully I suspect this is how public health authorities see it too, I suspect they care far less about the perfect fairness of the categories than yeppej, pragmatism versus moralism, the point of having categories is there is not enough vaccine for all to show up at once quite yet, that's really all.

well I think it has taken a mental health toll on many, added to whatever other challenges, mental health tendencies or preexisting conditions, people may already have. But what yeppej doesn't get is regardless of what authorities do or do not do (lockdowns etc.), there is still a bad virus out there that is going to be affecting people's mental health, affecting the economy, that people are going to try to avoid etc.. If we could have been New Zealand it would have been best for people's mental health etc., a couple months of hard lockdown and normalcy and it wouldn't have taken such a toll. But it wasn't in the cards, they weren't going to shut down air travel, travel within the country, provide people money to make it through the time etc..
    I agree that it has taken a mental health toll on many. I also think playing the "if" game or "shoulda, coulda, woulda" is all well and fine for conversations, but you said it - there is STILL a bad virus out there that is killing people, making people sick, and effecting pretty much everything. And every individual has a CHOICE as to how they will respond to these things - some do well, others do not.

Edited to add: Admittedly a bit more sensitive to "pooh-poohing" the virus right now as just found out two of my nieces have COVID in their households (all adults positive and having symptoms). 2 year old in one and 10 day old in the other!!!! Besides being sick themselves, these young parents are just consumed with concern for their kids. Sigh...
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej, we lived in an area with really, really low incidence of Covid when we lived in Michigan. Every time they had an outbreak, it was at a bar, so I think vaccinating heavy drinkers will probably benefit everyone. Same thing with other places where people are jammed together and cannot socially distance--nursing homes and prisons, for example. So maybe if you think of that angle, you will feel a little better. It sucks that these vaccines are so hard to get, I agree with you there, it is real frustrating to want to get it, to be eligible, and then to have the state move a new group of people ahead of us in line. That has happened here in Maine, too. We just don't have enough vaccines sent our way, for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I agree that it has taken a mental health toll on many. I also think playing the "if" game or "shoulda, coulda, woulda" is all well and fine for conversations, but you said it - there is STILL a bad virus out there that is killing people, making people sick, and effecting pretty much everything. And every individual has a CHOICE as to how they will respond to these things - some do well, others do not.

Edited to add: Admittedly a bit more sensitive to "pooh-poohing" the virus right now as just found out two of my nieces have COVID in their households (all adults positive and having symptoms). 2 year old in one and 10 day old in the other!!!! Besides being sick themselves, these young parents are just consumed with concern for their kids. Sigh...
    So sorry to hear about your nieces and hope they get better soon, and the children do not get it! I honestly have not heard anybody minimizing the virus lately--I know my granddaughter's teacher got it, for example, and it was very recently! I wish the teachers here had been vaccinated right along with the nursing home residents and staff. We just do not have enough vaccines here.

Amended to add that my mom's nursing home shut down again to visits last week because a staff member tested positive, and she had been fully vaccinated with two doses.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    So sorry to hear about your nieces and hope they get better soon, and the children do not get it! I honestly have not heard anybody minimizing the virus lately--I know my granddaughter's teacher got it, for example, and it was very recently! I wish the teachers here had been vaccinated right along with the nursing home residents and staff. We just do not have enough vaccines here.

Amended to add that my mom's nursing home shut down again to visits last week because a staff member tested positive, and she had been fully vaccinated with two doses.
    I will admit that "pooh-poohing" is probably not the best choice of words, but that's all I got right now.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

I hope people are not doing that where you live; it doesn't help, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post

Yes. Vaccination may not prevent contracting Covid. Data shows people get mild or asymptomatic cases. Hence, we're advised to continue precautions unless present ONLY with others fully vaccinated.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Would you rather substance abusers were shedding virus all over the place? Vaccinations are proceeding at a dizzying pace. Who really cares who's getting them, as long as most people are?
    People do care if they can get a vaccine or not. We are getting mixed messages from our government.

Message #1 Government officials are important and valuable and to ensure continuity of government are vaccinated ahead of ordinary citizens. Therefore if you get a vaccine you are more valuable than others.

Message #2 It should all be based on risk factors, so prisoners, drug addicts, etc can go to the front of the line because it's not about your value as a human being.

I have heard numerous people complain that the government obviously values criminals and addicts over them because they get to be vaccinated first. Given message #1 this is not an irrational assumption. Some people also feel that they are entitled to the vaccine ahead of those who are in higher risk groups because they have practiced healthy habits. So for instance you will have someone lie or be prepared to lie and say, "I smoke" to get the vaccine. But of course the problem with that is you are also depriving deserving people like the elderly from vaccines they are entitled to by jumping the line.

ETA: I have to give Trump credit here. He could have gotten a vaccine but said since he already had had covid he had immunity and would wait for his shot until others with a greater need for the vaccine got theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    ETA: I have to give Trump credit here. He could have gotten a vaccine but said since he already had had covid he had immunity and would wait for his shot until others with a greater need for the vaccine got theirs.
    Really? He supposedly got COVID in October. In October, how long did they think the antibodies provided immunity - A couple weeks, wasn't it? He got his vaccine in January. He got his and you're still waiting for yours, but go ahead and give him "credit".

Remember it is quite likely Trump only survived BECAUSE he had treatment that was not available to everyone else. The rest of us would have a hard time even being admitted to the hospital, and we would not likely have gotten everything in the book thrown at us, including monoclonal antibodies to save our lives. This was a rare treatment. Did Trump go: "oh no antibodies for me until they are available for all?" Of course not, no President would, but obviously not the world's biggest narcissist. And then Trump had the nerve to tell us that covid was no big deal as he survived it.

But anyway imagine thinking who is prioritized for the vaccine is about one's worth as a human being. LOL, as if anyone was that well equipt to judge that to begin with, but as if that has anything to do with anything.
    Trees don't grow on money

When I became pregnant with my first back in 1995, I found out i didn't have the measles titer. Not sure why; perhaps as an adult I missed a booster? At any rate, I couldn't get vaccinated while pregnant, so I had to be very, very careful about being around folks who were sick with measles (can cause birth defects to fetuses). I had to rely on "herd immunity." IIFC, I received the vaccine before I left the hospital after DS was born.

I received my first Pfizer March 19 and will get #2 on April 12.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Thread Information