Page 12 of 69 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting the vaccine??

Jane, if they do not set up wait lists and have leftover vaccine from people who choose not to show up or those who change their minds, or there is extra in the vial (which is happening), they should use it for anyone available. Not one dose should be wasted. IN appears to have wait lists set up.

If a significant side effect that I care about only happens in 1 of 1000 people, then a trial of 40 people in unlikely to have it occur. That was my point in dismissing a phase 1 trial of 40 people.

Larger sample size = higher confidence level.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Jane, if they do not set up wait lists and have leftover vaccine from people who choose not to show up or those who change their minds, or there is extra in the vial (which is happening), they should use it for anyone available. Not one dose should be wasted. IN appears to have wait lists set up.
    I'm sure the idea is to eliminate wasted doses; I've heard of people getting last-minute vaccinations in Portland.

My sister-in-law in Mesa AZ drove an elderly neighbor to a drive through vaccination center, after the neighbor was vaccinated they asked her if she wanted one too. Said she could be the neighbor's plus one.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Our school contact from the health department just asked my boss for an exact count. I opted in!

Yppej
    My mother got so frustrated trying to sign up she called her town's senior center. They are not having any luck either. The state's vaccine website is so convoluted they called in the town's IT professional and he couldn't get through it either. There is still no promised phone line to enroll. Epic fail by Governor Baker!

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    My mother got so frustrated trying to sign up she called her town's senior center. They are not having any luck either. The state's vaccine website is so convoluted they called in the town's IT professional and he couldn't get through it either. There is still no promised phone line to enroll. Epic fail by Governor Baker!
    I'm sorry to hear that. I was able to book an appointment for my mother at one of the larger sites in a nearby town for next week. I found the website a bit clunky but not the worst I have ever encountered. Given the population though, I think they also need a non-computer based option for scheduling appointments.

My mother, sister and bil in CA got their first round of shots last week. (All due to age and mom with added health issues). They are due for the 2nd done at the end of the month.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    leftover vaccine .
    I heard that a hospital is a vaccination site. Their policy is to use all the supply every day. If there are no-shows from the waiting list, the doses are given to patients being discharged, regardless of age (>16).

The state of Wisconsin reports on the number of vaccinations and the number of people who have received "the complete series" (2 shots). As of yesterday 117,367 people in WI had completed the series. That would be about 2% of the total population. As of 1/26 the state of WV reported 3% of their population had completed the series.

I gather that supply is short in every state.

Thread Information