Page 4 of 69 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting the vaccine??

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    So, until the great majority of the population are vaccinated, I'm thinking my current precautionary behaviors will continue - i.e. mask wearing, social distancing, etc.
    Same, I'm just viewing this as an extra layer of PPE.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Same, I'm just viewing this as an extra layer of PPE.
    Yes, DH will be getting his second shot on Tues and I have no idea when I'll be eligible. We'll continue with the same precautions for the foreseeable future.

I was offered an opportunity yesterday as a first responder. Got down there and was denied due to previous drug reactions. They wanted me to confer with my GP and then have it given in a medical facility in case there were issues. Seemed to think I would be upset.... The nurse supervisor said "I have some very upsetting news."
    Well, it wasn't upsetting to me. We are keeping it on the down low at home and I wasn't expecting an opportunity to come up for months anyway. I'm not nearly as worried about Covid as I am anaphylactic shock, which I have had and it scared the pants off me.
    Still thought it odd since you have to wait 30 minutes before leaving in case of reaction. So.... were they not equipped if anybody had issues in those 30 minutes? Several of the firefighters questioned me on this and I said she acted as if this info was hot off the press from Pfizer and if you ever had any issues with drugs, food allergies, bees etc, they wanted it done after a Dr consult and at a medical facility.

Yppej
    I tried to find a sign up site online for my parents in their eighties but it doesn't appear there is one for my state. Maybe no surprise given that our governor is a former health care executive at a private company, but the vaccine is being corporatized. You can get it at a hospital, or a drug store chain can give it to you at a nursing home, employers like supermarkets will likely be next, but the elderly can't go to their senior center run by the town and get it from the town nurse. You need a connection to a corporation. Very disappointing.

ETA just saw on the news private ambulance companies will be administering the vaccines to first responders.

I'm 71, not employed, and not in a nursing home. So I'll have to wait till they start giving it to the genera population over 65. I'm due for a physical in late February, so I'm figuring my PCP will probably give me a referral then to get the shot in mid-march. And yes, I'll get it. I figure by that time it will have been given to enough people for any kinks in the distribution system to have been corrected and for all the common side effects and reactions to have been noticed.

Yppej
    Found out my parents in their 80's can't get the vaccine yet because Massachusetts is prioritizing prison inmates.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Found out my parents in their 80's can't get the vaccine yet because Massachusetts is prioritizing prison inmates.
    And non-inmates, which would mean that my neighbor with a wife and three young children, who is a prison guard doing a job in extremely close quarters with a large number of people, has a good chance of protection and survival for not only himself but also for his family.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Amazing just how different states are handling the rollout. Our state started with hospital/medical personnel, long term care, and is now adding in over 80s. So far 75000 have registered and either have shots or are scheduled. They will roll in others in a phased response. Sure there are hiccups but to get that many registered in just a couple of days is amazing. Mom's shot will be at a hospital clinic and easily monitored.

I did a quick check on correctional officer issues and over 84 have died from Covid. Huge % of prison populations have gotten sick, been sent to overcrowded hospitals or died. Crowded conditions will add to transmission and as happystuff said, it will transmit to those outside of the facilities.

My folks in assisted living got their first vaccines last Monday. A great relief.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Amazing just how different states are handling the rollout.
    For vaccinating residents in Long Term Care, the CDC fostered the Federal Pharmacy Partnership, in which CVS and Walgreens (plus about a dozen regional pharmacy chains) partnered with specific LTC facilities. In December of 2020, in the rhetoric surrounding "Operation Warp Speed", CVS and Walgreens spokespersons implied they would each be able to deliver 25 million vaccinations to residents in LTC facilities.

The State of West Virginia does not participate in the Federal Pharmacy Partnership, but instead mobilized all independent and chain pharmacies in the state to participate with LTC facilities in the state. WV has had comparatively more success vaccinating LTC residents than other states. The Federal Pharmacy Partnership has experienced delays due to "paperwork", government orders to hold back supply, etc.

Thread Information