Page 30 of 69 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting the vaccine??

Apparently San Francisco is giving jabs to anyone who works in hospitality. Just bring your work ID and drivers license to the moscone convention center. No appointment needed. SO is going to go tomorrow and try. I soooo hope he can get one. He’s got multiple health issues that make him high risk. It will be such a relief even if I have to wait another month or two.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Apparently San Francisco is giving jabs to anyone who works in hospitality. Just bring your work ID and drivers license to the moscone convention center. No appointment needed. SO is going to go tomorrow and try. I soooo hope he can get one. He’s got multiple health issues that make him high risk. It will be such a relief even if I have to wait another month or two.
    That makes sense. If they can quickly vaccinate the people who are most likely to get infected and the people who are most likely to spread the virus, that will greatly reduce the risk for everyone. (Pareto Principle: 80% of benefit/harm comes from 20% of people/effort)

I just registered with my county health department, my doctor, and a pharmacy. Estimated wait is 3-6 weeks to get an appointment. I'll take whichever gives me an appointment first and cancel the other two.

We have an appointment tomorrow! Got notice yesterday from the county health department where we had registered about 3 or 4 weeks ago and I called at 10 am. It was only a 6 minute wait on hold, 10-15 minutes to register both my husband and me. Tomorrow our first dose then the next is scheduled for April 3. I had tried Walgreens for about a week, which is only 10 minutes away (this one is 30 minutes away) but they didn't have appointments for doses 1 and 2. we're very happy. Our county is doing those born in 1948 and before as they only have enough doses to do it that way. State guidelines are already on anyone over 65, but the county is rolling it our by year of birth. I've heard excellent reports about the actual process- in and out in 20 minutes which includes sitting for 15 minutes.

I got my first Pfizer vaccine today at 1 o’clock after some fumbling around by the powers that be at the palace of illness that was administering it.

I had a clear 1 o’clock appointment. When I went in to the hospital they said my name was not on the list. But the receptionist lady got me in and for that I appreciate it, but I should’ve known that there would be some sort of screwup.

I didn’t like sitting in a lobby with a bunch of masked humans, so I went outside to wait and she came to get me when it was time. I didn’t like being herded with a bunch of the same people into an elevator so I waited for the second elevator. There didn’t appear to be staircases nearby. I’ve not been with that many people in an enclosed space since hmmmm, I dont know when.

If they can quickly vaccinate the people who are most likely to get infected
    the thing is the people theoretically most likely to be infected have likely in disproportionate numbers already been infected. I mean if it's 1/3 of the total population that has had it, and that's the estimates here from several weeks ago (cases have dropped since but not disappeared), so what is it in people most likely to be infected, maybe 50% or more? I don't actually have data but higher than the average seems a likely assumption, since the average includes those not likely to get infected.

So the people most likely to get infected NOW (not at the start of this thing) might well be those without so much exposure especially if their exposure is increasing, with their utterly virgin immune systems. Of course those most likely to get serious illness are the same as ever unless new strains alter it: the elderly, those with preexisting conditions. I mean we can pretend it's last March and noone has natural immunity yet, but not so much so. We don't have the ever elusive herd immunity but we have a LOT of people who have had the virus.
    Trees don't grow on money

I think that 30% figure is just for California; I understand the national rate is about 10%. Of course, that could have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    the thing is the people theoretically most likely to be infected have likely in disproportionate numbers already been infected.
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I think that 30% figure is just for California; I understand the national rate is about 10%. Of course, that could have changed.
    Either way, all the powers that be can do is make a "best reasonable guess" as to which people are most likely to get the virus and which people are most likely to spread it, and that will in general mean people who have frequent close contact with a lot of random people. Even though there's a good chance a lot of those people have already been exposed, the odds still favor vaccinating them first to catch the ones who haven't been infected.

I'm 70. I'm eligible. But I recognize that in my circumstances I'm less likely to get infected than a waiter or grocery clerk. So I'm willing to let them get their shot first, if the powers that be want to do that.

Well I doubt it's ever as clean as all that, especially as the criteria has changed several times already. Teachers unions have immense lobbying power, so hence they will get it, even if schools are not open (though they do want to open them). Restaurant workers is about saving the restaurant economy which all know has been hard hit. Uber drivers have all the exposure in the world, but how is anyone ever going to prove they are an Uber driver, another downside to gig work rather than an employment contract.
    Trees don't grow on money

SO got his jab from Dr. Fauci himself!

fauci.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    If they can quickly vaccinate the people who are most likely to get infected and the people who are most likely to spread the virus, that will greatly reduce the risk for everyone. (Pareto Principle: 80% of benefit/harm comes from 20% of people/effort).
    There is no evidence that a specific group is MOST likely to get infected.

Thread Information