Page 22 of 69 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting the vaccine??

The 86 year old senior friend I grocery shop for is getting her first shot next week. She said that two weeks after she gets her second jab, she's going back to doing her own grocery shopping. I've been doing hers since mid-April.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    The 86 year old senior friend I grocery shop for is getting her first shot next week. She said that two weeks after she gets her second jab, she's going back to doing her own grocery shopping. I've been doing hers since mid-April.
    Good for you!

The do-Goode’s in my neighborhood tried desperately to find people who needed their shopping done. Two large efforts and more than 20 volunteers waiting to shop for people and there are no takers for that service that we are offering free of course.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Good for you!

The do-Goode’s in my neighborhood tried desperately to find people who needed their shopping done. Two large efforts and more than 20 volunteers waiting to shop for people and there are no takers for that service that we are offering free of course.
    Friend and I shared a music stand in choir for more than 10 years pre-Covid. There were other volunteers in my parish, but I don’t know if anyone took them up on the offer. Friend’s family was out of state. I was out of work and glad to have something to do.

I wonder if some of the reluctance is that you would have to get cash to give to someone you don’t know so there’s a risk in that. Also with online shopping most people I know were doing pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I wonder if some of the reluctance is that you would have to get cash to give to someone you don’t know so there’s a risk in that. Also with online shopping most people I know were doing pickup.
    That’s not the only way to do it. I paid and then friend wrote me a check. Guess it’s different if you don’t know the person.

If you are strangers someone is taking on the small financial risk.

Knew someone who supervised a Senior Shoppers program for a local non-profit. They would shop for the person, deliver the products and would receive a check from the person for the amount. This person said they never had an issue with the payments, but that could also be due to the fact that it was an official program type thing instead of person-to-person. Kudos for all your help this whole time to your friend, Tradd.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yes, that is so nice of you, Tradd. I'm sure it was much appreciated.

When it comes to the inability for IL's do-gooder friends to find people to shop for, it clearly didn't fill a need for whatever reason. Maybe the older people had family members or friends that were already helping them. Maybe they belong to a church where they have close ties with the members, like Tradd. People underestimate the value in being part of church community. Maybe they enjoyed getting out of the house and went during early "senior hours." Maybe there was an element of distrust of the volunteers, but if they presented themselves as a bona fide community organization, I don't think they'd be afraid that someone would just take off with their money. But maybe they would be. Who knows?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Yes, that is so nice of you, Tradd. I'm sure it was much appreciated.

When it comes to the inability for IL's do-gooder friends to find people to shop for, it clearly didn't fill a need for whatever reason. Maybe the older people had family members or friends that were already helping them. Maybe they belong to a church where they have close ties with the members, like Tradd. People underestimate the value in being part of church community. Maybe they enjoyed getting out of the house and went during early "senior hours." Maybe there was an element of distrust of the volunteers, but if they presented themselves as a bona fide community organization, I don't think they'd be afraid that someone would just take off with their money. But maybe they would be. Who knows?
    Or maybe they were satisfied with their professional online delivery or pickup service.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Or maybe they were satisfied with their professional online delivery or pickup service.
    That's right... I think most people would prefer to go the route whereby they don't have to ask others to do them a favor.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information