Page 24 of 69 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting the vaccine??

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    These are really interesting responses, and thank you for elaborating. Maybe it is a spiritual question--but again, aren't they all spiritual questions? Maybe it's just where I am at in my personal life that they all seem to be.
    And I see almost everything as an exercise in values these days. Maybe it is the place in life where we are.

The Chicago Teachers Union was almost on strike a few weeks back, saying they wouldn’t go back until a vaccine was available for everyone. Now they’re bellyaching at the Chicago Public Schools maybe going to require a vaccine for everyone to work in the district.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    When you are part of a organization doing good some of the volunteers are on a power trip and do it for recognition and the ability to boss others around. It has soured me on formal helping.
    I will carry permanent resentment toward the person on the board of directors (who by the way is supposed to be sophisticated in working with volunteers and such) for bringing the sex trafficking ask to my board.

I do not agree with the idea of “well you can always ask, it doesn’t hurt to ask.” Because I think it DOES hurt to ask. I resent the acrimony and time and resources it takes to say no to a request. Negative energy is generated from debate resulting in a negative answer.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    And I see almost everything as an exercise in values these days. Maybe it is the place in life where we are.
    I think you are probably right! And believe me, I am only at this place where I am because of the end of life issues of my parents. I have been brought to this spiritual brink kicking and screaming, if you will.

A little of Ayn Rand goes a long ways and those novels of hers are excrement.

But not surprisingly, I identify somewhat with some parts of libertarian ideals, sometimes. :-)
    Likewise to both. I read one or two of Rand's books when I was a callow youth: fortunately, they had no effect on me. Her characters were so clearly of the cartoon variety.

As I elaborate below, do-gooding on the basis of differing values is the problem.

When I join organization A with goals to benefit organization A, I want to work to benefit Organization A. I do not want to spend my resources supporting values attributed to Organization B. If I was on board with those values I would just join organization B. It’s pretty simple.

I could write a lot about hobby groups and public benefit organizations because we belong to a lot of them. Mixed values and unclear goals bug me.
    Yes, I can see what you are saying and would definitely be upset if what I volunteered for was not what where my efforts ended up.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Likewise to both. I read one or two of Rand's books when I was a callow youth: fortunately, they had no effect on me. Her characters were so clearly of the cartoon variety.
    I liked them some (they were still too long and had too many boring speeches) when a callow youth.

But I think the independence stuff is mostly about breaking away from the parental unit, and not fitting in as a teen, when your haven't even reached the age of majority. Selfish, what 16 year old isn't already selfish, just by being, in their parent's view? They all are. Adulthood is a whole different ballgame though.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I liked them some (they were still too long and had too many boring speeches) when a callow youth.

But I think the independence stuff is mostly about breaking away from the parental unit, and not fitting in as a teen, when your haven't even reached the age of majority. Selfish, what 16 year old isn't already selfish, just by being, in their parent's view? They all are. Adulthood is a whole different ballgame though.
    Yeah--the swill she wrote elevated selfishness to the level of moral supremacy.

Chuckling... I didn't feel interested in this thread originally because Canadian vaccine issues will be different.. I dropped in on post in #230's to find the discussion about the writings of Ayn Rand. Never would I have expected that deviation in a covid thread. Delightful!! I won't look back to see how it all happened as the humour of is is enough.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Chuckling... I didn't feel interested in this thread originally because Canadian vaccine issues will be different.. I dropped in on post in #230's to find the discussion about the writings of Ayn Rand. Never would I have expected that deviation in a covid thread. Delightful!! I won't look back to see how it all happened as the humour of is is enough.
    I can write for hours about hobby groups, organizations, how they operate, their goals and activity, etc., I’m on the board and an officer in several and it’s what interests me.

I sat through a 2 1/2 hour zoom meeting this morning for a national group. I have to say those garden club ladies are pretty damned organized and rigorous in their expectations. I like that! It is the local garden clubs that sometimes lose their focus. That’s why I don’t belong to a local garden club other than the design group which I love because it is so very focused on one thing: floral design. We don’t do anything else.

Thread Information