Page 35 of 69 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting the vaccine??

Yeah--I'm pretty sure that no one is enjoying the illness and death (and economic pain) of others, but I'm enjoying the peace and quiet and lack of expectations the pandemic has brought, which is how I interpreted Iris Lily's post. I wouldn't mind having a partner and a pod, but I'm doing fine without one.

Yppej
    I am an introvert but that does not give me a pandemic benefit because I have no problem turning down invitations to things I am not interested in.

The only benefit I see is to the environment with more people working from home.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I don't think IL is enjoying the pandemic in a general sense. If she's like me, she's enjoying the pandemic's "side effect" of not having to be around people 24/7--having an excuse to lay low. Obviously no one enjoys a pandemic, but the comment was in response to TT's observation that there are a lot of people on this forum who, being introverted by nature, haven't suffered as much as others from the enforced isolation.
    Oh right! I’m not enjoying the economic and health pain of anyone, Either individually or for our society.

The downtime is nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I am an introvert but that does not give me a pandemic benefit because I have no problem turning down invitations to things I am not interested in.

The only benefit I see is to the environment with more people working from home.
    I don’t do things I’m not interested in, but this pandemic has cut out some of the things I’m interested in. So that has forced me to be more thoughtful about certain aspects of life. Plus it has allowed me to attack my book collection.

I’m telling you, a year ago I couldn’t conceive of cleaning out my book collection I knew it had to be done.And now today I have nearly finished, and could stop any second with just One more trip to the bookstore.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I don't think IL is enjoying the pandemic in a general sense. If she's like me, she's enjoying the pandemic's "side effect" of not having to be around people 24/7--having an excuse to lay low. Obviously no one enjoys a pandemic, but the comment was in response to TT's observation that there are a lot of people on this forum who, being introverted by nature, haven't suffered as much as others from the enforced isolation.
    Raising hand for all to see. YES! Over 500K American lives lost is horrible - no argument there. But if this HAD to happen - I am one of the more fortunate ones. Being introverted by nature makes aspects of this easier to deal with.

One surprise is that I am not missing taking a breather from activism. I am spending more tine checking on neighbors and even sleeping! I am also more present at work with more focus. Rob

The upside of this is personal discovery, for a lot of us. And, as I've mentioned to friends, we are so, so lucky to have a whole world of entertainment, communications, knowledge, and commerce literally at our fingertips during what could have been an even more difficult time.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    The upside of this is personal discovery, for a lot of us. And, as I've mentioned to friends, we are so, so lucky to have a whole world of entertainment, communications, knowledge, and commerce literally at our fingertips during what could have been an even more difficult time.
    Yep. As I've mentioned before, as I was used to living alone, it wasn't too bad. I was more bored than anything, especially since I was laid off for four months.

Count me in as one for whom isolation has not been a problem. I tend to live inside my own head, so no real changes there, lol! Dh and and I are scheduled for the vaccine. He gets the one-shot on Friday, and I have my first of two next Monday. I am annoyed that we can't get them back-to-back, and have to go to two separate locations, but availability here is abysmal, and I am relieved to at least be scheduled. Now to wait for DD and SC to be eligible! SC has had Covid but does NOT want to have it again!

Isolation has been both a boon and the opposite for me. I probably never would have turned into a seed maniac without this time spent alone and it is now a passion. Finally getting to know my way around a new town and make friends only to have it all disappear has not been fun. On the topic of vaccines, I think the media perpetuates a sense that vaccines give the all clear to normalcy. My understanding is that one can still give and get the virus after vaccines but are not very likely to have serious illness or hospitalization from it. Which I guess is a good thing.

one can still give and get the virus after vaccines but are not very likely to have serious illness or hospitalization from it.
    That's my understanding, also. SC was told that they would be much less likely to get it again and should at minimum have reduced symptoms once they were vaccinated. Which may be a little while as they are not in a current priority group.

Thread Information