Thread: Only in Nevada

Only in Nevada

This is the land of quick divorces. I called a paralegal on Monday, we both signed the paperwork on Wednesday and it was filed with the court on Thursday. In normal times it would be finalized in 2-3 weeks but it may take longer because of Covid. They are all still working but not seeing people in person. Seems odd that would affect wait times. The judges were probably off for 2 weeks for the holidays per the paralegal. My husband is 5 years younger than me so will lose my HI and can’t go on Medicare. His income won’t be that high so hopefully he will get a decent rate/deductible.

Here in a small county in WA State, from the time all the paperwork was signed by all parties, it was less than 24 hours before the judge had signed off and finalized the divorce.

However, it took 1.5 years of "negotiation" to get to that day, from the initial filing. And that's with a fair amount of cooperation from all parties.

Wow that’s super fast. You guys probably had many more assets.

Yowza, that is moving quickly.

If dear DH and I were to divorce, we Would not be able to do it that quickly. I Imagine we would be wrangling over… things. Many things. That is very cool that you are moving this thing along!

Oddly, our dog is the first dog who has been clearly and adamantly “his “dog. This dog just loves DH. Usually, when we have a dog who prefers one of us, they prefer me because I’m the mom who feeds them. So I guess if we got a divorce I would have to let him take his dog and I would be OK with that because I know he would treat the dog nicely.

Untangling our financial assets would not be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Wow that’s super fast. You guys probably had many more assets.
    The Court here is pretty lightly used. There are specific hours each week when the lawyers can, without an appointment or getting on the calendar, just walk in and Do Lawyer Stuff in front of the judge.

The paper the judge waved her pen over was basically one page, which said essentially "it's all figured out, see attached 9 million page settlement agreement, please record ASAP".

Terry, glad to hear it got taken care of so quickly.

Yes, it's all painful to go through but at least this structural part was taken care of quickly. Good for you, TT.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

The dogs are mine. He never wanted them but loves and is good to them. He never wanted to be tied down or the responsibility. They are one of the few things I would fight for. He knew better then to even go there. We are each taking the furniture we had before marriage and splitting what we bought. I split all the household stuff between us. He has 60 days to get a mortgage and buy the house. I bought the entire bedroom set before we married but all I want is a dresser and nightstand. My bedroom won’t be big and the furniture would mostly be empty so no point. He is very upset about having to find his own health insurance. Time to adult).

So glad things are progressing as easily as possible, TT. Continued good luck with the rest of the stuff yet to be done.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Our divorce would have been final in 3 business days but the paralegal forgot the page that has just our name and social security numbers on it. She resubmitted Thursday. I went online and looked at it last night and realized she has my husband’s last name totally wrong in one spot and right on the others. So I sent a email but haven’t heard back yet.

Thread Information