Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is NOT a question for those on the right

This is NOT a question for those on the right

Questions are being posed in several threads inquiring about reasons and attitudes of those on the political right of the spectrum. The questions are mostly about Trump support but also are about right and far right attitudes.

It occurred to me the last couple days that it is bad form and considered a mild version of racism to inquire of Black people about their experience and an overview of black history and thought. This questioning puts a burden on black people for educating (probably) sincere folks. These inquiries also seem to assume one monolithic black experience which is pretty demeaning.

No, I am not trying to draw an exact analogy between the experience of black Americans and this forum, but there is a bit of similarity, I think.

My white privilege allows me these unwholesome thoughts. Probably I need to be sent to a re-education camp to even draw this analogy.

What is the point of this post other than to mock someone with a genuine question? I'm assuming here you are making fun of others on the left trying to understand the right. YOu are doing no such thing in this post.

And I say that as someone who used to say they were right of center. Now of course the right has gone so far right, that I'm now considered a liberal.

I kept this thought OUT of those other threads for the purpose of not introducing a thought that might be unpleasant. Give me some credit, ‘kay?

The same questions being asked over and over here make me wonder about the genuine nature of these questions. Sorry if that naïveté just seems...off ....to me. And as always, the questioning arena serves as a trap for those who answer even if the trap isnt sprung.

There is a lot of good political commentary out there on the internet. We have the world of thought at our fingertips. It is easy read reasonable sources that show why Trump supporters might support Trump in some, many, or most ways.

Personally, I think the most effective way to find out one person’s political thought, if that is the goal, is to raise an issue or two that you know is important in the political right and ask that person what he thinks. That conversation needs to take place over private message. The open nature of forums almost seems to require Anti-trumping rhetoric to be proudly displayed.

In closing, I think my analogy has some merit. You dont have to.

I think that conversation needs to take place over private message.
    I agree that the best conversations are in person where you can hear and see a person and see the nuances that written mediums don't provide. I also think Geila was asking a genuine question and the way you titled this thread and started it seems like you are making fun of her. We've lost a number of interesting posters over the years, most recently Tammy. I really hate losing fun posters, and an number of folks (who coincidentally have all self identified as being on the right) have driven them off with condescension, derision and bordering on bullying (ie things you accuse the left of doing). Please consider that your words have power and force.

I guess my political beliefs are more diverse, by subject, than a simple left/right label would account for.

Both "sides" seem to think I belong to the other side, so perhaps I'm doing something correct.

Geila
    IL - you sure know how to throw a punch. It hurt enough to make me cry. And since I don't understand why you felt I deserved it, obviously I'm just too stupid to be here.

herbgeek - thank you.

Tammy left because she considers others here racist, and she does not wish to hang out with same.She gets to make
    that determination.

I have fatigue of questioners, but you are right! That is my problem, not theirs.

It hurt enough to make me cry.
    Happy now IL?

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    IL - you sure know how to throw a punch. It hurt enough to make me cry. And since I don't understand why you felt I deserved it, obviously I'm just too stupid to be here.
    L
    herbgeek - thank you.
    Geila, so sorry. I hope you find thoughtful political commentary that enlightens you to reasonable attitudes of those on the right. It is out there on the internet.

National Review is one place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Happy now IL?
    Not my intent.

Thread Information