Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheets

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Sheets

Here's something that has perplexed me for some time - why are sheets so expensive? I'm lucky in that a few miles north of me there is.a Nordstrom"s Last Chance - crossing fingers their Last Chance arm survives covid -"with truly quality bedding outside the store in bargain bins.

Without Last Chance, new bedding is to me anyway insanely overpriced. Rob

Yppej
    What is your definition of quality?

Well, I USED to haunt a localish group of thrift stores on all holidays, when everything is 50% off. I've had really good luck finding deep pocket, high-thread count sheets. Pillowcases are easy to pick up at yard sales etc. I am obviously not too concerned with color or pattern, I don't buy things I consider butt-ugly but otherwise.... However, DD swears by IKEA sheets, and I think they are pretty inexpensive, comparatively.

In the past sheets lasted forever. Now if you buy cheap sheets they rip and get pills on them. I buy good sheets on sale.

In the past, mattresses weren't as tall as they are now. (wondering how much tension expands with mattress height). When we were kids, sheets were from Kmart, Venture, etc. while our parents/grandparents, had nicer sheets, that tended to be bought during things like January white sales.
    I expect my old sheets, won't fit the next mattress, due to size (both bed size and height).

Seems like anything made of 100% cotton or other natural fibers has gotten very expensive. I mistakenly bought some microfiber sheets a while back because they were lower priced and I hate them. I finally bought some Supima cotton sheets from Macy's but they seem awfully thin. Still debating whether to take them back before washing/using.

I had some vintage 100% cotton sheets I’d been given a while back that finally wore out. I find jersey sheets, a t-shirt like material to be good. I hate scratchy sheets and these are nice and soft. Warmer in the winter without being too hot like flannel. Got mine off Amazon for about $45 for a double bed size set.

I get all of my sheets from "Sin in Linen", https://www.sininlinen.com/ , and they have been of decent quality, have great designs, and if you hold off for their sales, not insanely priced.

I don't think one needs high thread count, in fact in a climate that is more often warm than cold it's better not to, as lower thread count sheets run cooler though possibly less durable. That said my sheets are all cotton and were pricey, but not all super high thread count.
    Trees don't grow on money

300 or less count sheets do get pilly very quickly or did years ago before I chose polyester and cotton sheets of higher counts and they last forever. For my bed I have fleece sheets for winter and the polyester for summer. I did buy Ikea cotton sheets for the single spare beds and they are very wrinkly. I was given by family some unwanted polyester sheets for the other two queen beds. I won't be buying sheets for a long time.
    I did see a promo for bamboo sheets at one point and was told that they were wonderfully soft. I wondered what the current info about bamboo stated. Here is one article to consider with lots of additional info as well. https://www.verolinens.com/how-long-do-bed-sheets-last/
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information