Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheets

Last sheets I bought were from Target and they were for the kids going to college - had to be extra-long twins to fit the dorm room beds. I am a use-it-until-it-dies person with most everything, so the sheets on my bed are about 20+ years old. No rips or tears, still usable.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

The sheets I use most often are low 200 something thread count, they aren't pilly and I've had them for years, but like I said they weren't cheap, so don't qualify as bedding that isn't insanely over priced. I think cheap sheets might just be cheap quality maybe. The only durability issue is I think they might develop holes sooner than higher thread count? But that's my experience with lower thread count which I prefer.
    Trees don't grow on money

Oh gee thanks bae. Now I've gone and ordered a shower curtain I didn't absolutely have to have!

Sheets are something I don't spend a lot of money on. No real reason, except I just don't see the value in spending $20 v $200. I have bought sheets in Kohl's and Target and my favorite, Marshall's/Home Goods.

BIL worked at ABC Carpet in Manhattan for a few years, and he would talk about all the celebrities coming in and spending $2000 for 1,000,000 Egyptian cotton thread count sheets (an exaggeration of course), and sheets are truly one of those things that if I had a few million drop in my lap, I still wouldn't spend $2000 on a set of sheets.

So, I'm with you, Rob. Give me a close-out price any day.

But I do love the name of sininlinen. Great marketing and the sheets look really nice.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

After many years of Target category of bargain sheets, a couple of years ago I splurged on a set of Parachute Pima cotton sheets. No regrets. I suspect quality sheets can be had for less, but they are more comfortable for me relative to the non-descript Target types I've had.

I am a sucker for nice bedding, and I get most of my sheets from LL Bean (love the flannel) and Cuddledown of Maine (cotton sateen). I also need jersey sheets for the "shoulder" seasons. I don't think I can claim to be very simple in my bedding requirements, but I'm OK with that.

Quote Originally Posted by early morning View Post
    Oh gee thanks bae. Now I've gone and ordered a shower curtain I didn't absolutely have to have!
    A local lady does all the art design for that brand, and I think the stuff is adorable.

OH, wow, bae, that is cool! I love the designs, especially the bats - so William Morris, but.... bats!!!

I don’t know how to respond to the question of why sheets are so expensive. I’m not sure that they are necessarily. It depends.

I read somewhere that thread count doesn’t define quality. That is a consumer chestnut has sold to the public. The types of fiber, the length of fiber – those make a difference if we’re talking about cotton.

In recent years I’ve bought different kinds of sheets, branching out. Back in my frugal days I used to hang onto them and even took in used sheets from my friends when they were throwing them out. Yeah I don’t do that anymore, I’m past that stage.

So in the past few years I have purchased the following:

1. Sheets made out of that T-shirt type of material that TRADD talks about. They are pleasant. They were not cheap but they were not expensive either.

2. Sheet set for $169.99 They are “Pima cotton “ but the main feature is they have sturdy elastic straps on all four corners so that the sheets don’t ride up.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like the second set so well that I purchased another set for our Hermann house.

3. Sheets set from IKEA. They were cheap. I did like the sheets because they have a nostalgic feel, they feel like my mom’s sheets from the 1960s. But they didn’t last long, things from IKEA are junk. They ripped, and I’ve never had sheets rip before.

4. Antique flat sheet with Appenzeller embroidery. I’ve been wanting an old European bedsheet for quite a while and this one came up on eBay. It’s beautiful and I’m not sure of the fabric. It may be probably is a weave of cotton that’s not especially smooth. The seller didn’t think it was linen. I trust her because she deals in antique linens. It is beautifully laundered and ironed. I fear that when I actually use it and wash it it’ll get wrinkly. But we shall see it’s very beautiful.

I really like the microfiber sheets.

Thread Information