Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saving money (covid related)

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Saving money (covid related)

Just curious - is covid helping you save money in a way?

I can think of one thing I wanted to buy for 24.99 but I passed. I just couldn't part with 24.99 given the reality of the covid economy and how many are suffering.

I just can't see spending money right now on things that are not life and death - and given Arizona's covid resurgence I'm even including local travel in this. Rob

Yppej
    Yes. I have no desire to put on a mask to go shopping so only go for essentials. I think the economy will only recover when mask mandates go away.

Yes we saved money by not going out to eat and not drinking. I did spend some of it on new clothes since I lost 30lbs and a few things for the house before I knew that I was divorcing. I shop online and amazingly most of the clothes have fit. We get carry out much less than we ate out.

Not me. We spent way more money than I've ever spent in my life a few months ago. Since then SO has dropped several thousand dollars more furnishing that purchase.

Not really. It has cut into convenience trips (need x to fix y, etc), or the one store that I would just go "look/shop", it has cost in other ways. USPS misdelivered a bill and the person that received it, overwrote who the check was to. (same check, been cashed twice), think the same people tried an ACH transfer as well (cost me time and had to close my bill paying account that I have had since the 80's). Friend that died, leaves me pet and I am buying the house, so bigger expenses. Becoming an owner of the business, so more costs and headaches, etc.

Definitely. No more eating out and carry out only every 2-3 weeks. No travel back home since Sept so only a tank of gas every month and a half. No thrift store visits. No haircuts. Canceling amazon prime this month and will order anything online from other vendors. Cancelling local newspaper. The savings account goes up and up.

I have donated 3 times my usual annual donations so no saving for me. I need so little in food, clothes, etc., and am so comfortable in my home and life as it is.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Trying to save and definitely socking the gov. checks away, but prices for food and now gas are still going up, so I think it is turning into a wash.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Less than you would think. So I save money in gas not commuting to work. But that is largely made up for in increased electricity bills for heating and cooling and lights and computer being that I'm home 24/7. I got faster internet to work from home that's another extra monthly expense. I save money since I quit my gym membership, if I felt it was safe I would rejoin the gym in a second. I have bought much less clothes, like almost none although I got shoes, because trying them on doesn't feel safe. I don't make big purchases like furniture but I was putting those off anyway, it's not like I'm buying furniture all the time. I've gotten a few small refunds from auto insurance and the like. I haven't had car maintenance as I barely drive. I discovered cash back credit cards since I no longer use cash.

I mean what else do I even buy? A few used books and the occasional thing for the house, yea I've bought those still - mostly online, made a rare trip to a big box. I've spent a ton of money on masks. I've bought really expensive toilet paper etc.. Sometimes gone to more expensive grocery stores to avoid crowds.
    Trees don't grow on money

I think we’re spending more. Less on gas, more on take out to help our favorite restaurants, keeping the heat up upstairs during the day because we’re both home and I’m teaching in the woodstove zone, so Dh needs to be upstairs and electric heat his workspace, buying things for the baby (not covid related), donated our concert subscription money, shipped all the Christmas stuff, bought 2x as many gifts to help strangers this year, helped buy an election ��, purchased a bunch of stuff for Dh to finally finish things he has time for around the house, replaced the truck because we had to soon and couldn’t imagine a better deal, running the dishwasher more often because I’m baking - healthier but not cheaper, feeding the chickens a lot of fruits and veggies because curbside pick up keeps giving us stuff that is basically compost, tattler lids (which it turns out I like and will be cheaper long term) because they were all I could get this year.

I’m showering at home more days a week because my $15/month health club is closed - but I don’t know how the shower compared to gas, that’s probably a save?

Thread Information