Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Saving money (covid related)

IL, I’ve been selling some scuba gear online and the boxes from incoming orders have been recycled for the stuff I’ve sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    IL, I’ve been selling some scuba gear online and the boxes from incoming orders have been recycled for the stuff I’ve sold.
    The bits of eBay selling I have done recently needs packaging. I go outside to our alley communal dumpster and pull packaging materials from the recycle bin. It is very handy.

This reminds me that I miss alleys in suburban developments and appreciate them SO MUCH. When did alleys leave us in urban planning? After WWII? I guess.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    The bits of eBay selling I have done recently needs packaging. I go outside to our alley communal dumpster and pull packaging materials from the recycle bin. It is very handy.

This reminds me that I miss alleys in suburban developments and appreciate them SO MUCH. When did alleys leave us in urban planning? After WWII? I guess.
    In my area those are called milk roads, so maybe they went away when milk was no longer delivered. My neighborhood was built in the early 50's and we still have the alleys.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

I miss alleys too. The neighborhood I grew up in in Denver had them (it had been built in the 20’s) and it was great. We didn’t have to ‘put the trash out’ on trash day. And my friends and I routinely played in the alley because there was very little traffic. NyC and San Francisco, on the other hand have never had alleys. And the 70’s suburban subdivision where we live now doesn’t have them of course.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Less than you would think. So I save money in gas not commuting to work. But that is largely made up for in increased electricity bills for heating and cooling and lights and computer being that I'm home 24/7. I got faster internet to work from home that's another extra monthly expense. I save money since I quit my gym membership, if I felt it was safe I would rejoin the gym in a second. I have bought much less clothes, like almost none although I got shoes, because trying them on doesn't feel safe. I don't make big purchases like furniture but I was putting those off anyway, it's not like I'm buying furniture all the time. I've gotten a few small refunds from auto insurance and the like. I haven't had car maintenance as I barely drive. I discovered cash back credit cards since I no longer use cash.

I mean what else do I even buy? A few used books and the occasional thing for the house, yea I've bought those still - mostly online, made a rare trip to a big box. I've spent a ton of money on masks. I've bought really expensive toilet paper etc.. Sometimes gone to more expensive grocery stores to avoid crowds.
    This is pretty much me. Higher utility bills, but not by much. This winter has been pretty mild so far so I've been keeping the heat pretty low. I'm not driving for work, but I'll drive to dive, although I've not done that for the past month. I used to get lunch out (fast food, Subway, etc.) a lot before I got laid off from the previous job in late March. I often now go 5-6 days without driving. I'll only go outside to check the mail. Now that I'm home so much, my small 1BR place was getting feeling really crowded. I sold 6 scuba tanks and my single tank diving gear over the past 6-8 weeks. My savings account is fat now.

I had cancelled my gym membership in July, but then I was a sloth and restarted it when there was a deal. But then maybe 6 weeks after I started back, the covid case numbers were going up, so I stopped going mid-October. I've been trying YouTube workouts, which left me very unsatisfied. I just got an under desk cycle last week. I'm using it in front of the TV instead. I've been doing 30 minutes just about every day. I can get a really good workout. I've cancelled my gym membership again.

I grocery shop at the regular Chicago area chain store (Jewel) as I shop for me and my senior friend at the same time. What she wants isn't to be found at Aldi, where I shopped before the shutdown last spring. I'm probably saving some money. I really shop the sales. Nicer just going to one store once a week and I'm done. I also can get my allergy meds at the grocery store pharmacy, which is really convenient.

We have saved a ton. Not doing our volunteer work, visiting, going out, or getting groceries so we rarely need to buy gas. No salon visits. No gym memberships. No eating out, concerts or movies. No housekeepers during covid. Groceries are a little more spendy being delivered but not nearly as much as we spent going out. No need for new clothes. We usually gift each other travel for Christmas so that was out until further notice.

Thread Information