Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Given that we are losing quality members.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Given that we are losing quality members.....

I personally have decided that I am avoiding politics and 85006 posts going forward along with controversy in general.

I've already posted this. I'm posting it again as my suggestion is we move more back to the original intent of this board - though that is up to each and every one of us and I don't control this. This is merely a suggestion and my commitment as to my.postings personally going forward. Rob

Yppej
    When I joined the forums years ago I was under the impression Public Policy was to discuss legislation and other actions that would impact the ability to live simply. For example, a change in farm policy might impact someone"s ability to realize their dream of living simply on a farm. Instead it has become a political catchall. I don't know that you can put the genie back in the bottle though. Some people have been very nasty (no, I am not talking about any recent post) throwing profanity around, insulting people personally, and even wishing them dead, and the moderators have not done anything. If people can't control themselves maybe Public Policy should be shut down and we can hope its topics won't bleed into Open or other Forums.

Has anyone here changed their mind about any political issue based on someone else's political rant?

I just think for the most part it's a fun place to talk about current events and download our responses and reactions to things that happen in the news. It doesn't have to be divisive or mean. Two operating principles should be in play as we move forward:

a) Be kind
    b) If you are likely to get fatigued or upset by the conversation, take a break (thanks, razz)

If we can just follow those two principles, I think we should be OK. I personally enjoy the banter, usually.

That said, I feel sad that we have lost really valuable members recently
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Has anyone here changed their mind about any political issue based on someone else's political rant?
    Rants, NO, not so much. But thoughtful, honest discussion about topics and issues that may not affect me, or that may affect others in ways that were not clearly understood - yes. I, for example, live in the country. Always have. IL and Tradd's views from big cities really are helpful to me - they give a perspective of things that are not seen on "mainstream" media, and I find that quite useful, and frequently eye-opening. Politics affects us all, and thus how we live in, and relate to, our world. Simply, or otherwise.

Catherine, I'm always sad when we lose engaged members, also. There are so very many voices that have left over the years, I can't begin to remember them all.

Quote Originally Posted by early morning View Post
    Rants, NO, not so much. But thoughtful, honest discussion about topics and issues that may not affect me, or that may affect others in ways that were not clearly understood - yes. I, for example, live in the country. Always have. IL and Tradd's views from big cities really are helpful to me - they give a perspective of things that are not seen on "mainstream" media, and I find that quite useful, and frequently eye-opening. Politics affects us all, and thus how we live in, and relate to, our world. Simply, or otherwise.

Catherine, I'm always sad when we lose engaged members, also. There are so very many voices that have left over the years, I can't begin to remember them all.
    Agreed.

And, while I may not have changed my mind very often, I usually learn something, which is always a good thing in my book!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I have enjoyed the political forum. There is not doubt a liberal leaning to opinions, but it still give some exposure to some diversity. It's interesting to hear what other people think and there have been occasions when I've challenged my own thoughts from the discussion. I've seen rude comments and good people come and go over the years and it's too bad things can't be a little more civil, but there have been heated topics.

I'd still hope for the over-all of things to be around your money or your life and it's various more contemporary offshoots, rather than some sort of anything goes social forum.

So Rob, there is that EDIT button in posts. Or Could you explain what makes a member a quality member, and what makes one just a member?
    Unfortunately, when I joined this forum, it had already changed hands from around when I found the old forum. All the old posts and useful information were gone. I joined anyway, hoping that a lot of content would be recreated and would remain for future members. I early on, looked for a way to block/ignore the politics section, and then a moderator who didn't understand computers or the software of this forum, kept telling me to ignore them (when a moderator, can't be ignored), my watch the carnage human instincts kicked in.
    We have lost a lot of members over the years. Some asked people to judge their situations, and then didn't like the verdicts or opinions (Redfox), others have left because of other members (Bunnies, due to me, Angler, due to Yppej, etc), but none of it have I seen due to simple living topics. It has always been about more complicated issues and those wanting to remain simple, by going away.

As I walk the dog around my neighbourhood, despite the ridiculous housing prices, houses come up for sale and often are sold in a week. Such is life. I miss those that have left the neighbourhood but enjoy the newcomers as well. Such is life. We are a diverse group of people with different needs, priorities and agendas to follow. Such is life. I am friendly with each, more interaction with some at times, supportive with others as seems right, grateful for support given. Again, such is life.

Why do we expect that an online neighbourhood would be any different? There are no qualities of people but people with wonderful qualities. Yes, I got tired of the same repetitive rants from some people and hit the ignore for a while, took a needed mental health break when it seemed wise.

I have gained a greater understanding of the issues in the US by the individual input of all, diverse as they may be, celebrate the joys and empathise with the challenges others may be going through. Your advice to my requests has been so helpful. That is what neighbours do. You are my neighbours online as I have wonderful neighbours in my town and I truly do value you all.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

There's also the thing that people can come at politics through life experience as well, and people talk about just their lives here. Do I think that's what is talked about in most of the political debate here? Nope, not at all, even when it is what drives it, it's not, nor would I talk about it, I don't think it would be respected or anything so not even (heck people have been attacked just for using legitimate legal programs to reduce student loans, but people who could more than take it and dish it out in that case).

And trolling the forum about mask post on just about every possible forum here is not really appropriate behavior either.
    Trees don't grow on money

I don't read all threads all the time. Who has left?

Thread Information