Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Simple Living Movies/Documentaries

Rogar: Thanks for the recommendation; I've added it to my Netflix list.

GeorgeParker: Your description of Marie Kondo is both hilarious and right on target! I did get some value from her approach in that I found a huge difference between looking at a bookcase to see what could go (1-2 books) vs. emptying the entire bookcase and deciding what should go back in (lots less than was there originally). However, I never found it necessary or helpful to talk to any of the books.

Tybee: I remember Baby Boom; that was a good one. I'll have to see if I can find Funny Farm.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    I consider myself a 'Simplifier" on my way to Essentialism (using that term the same way the book "Essentialism - The Disciplined Pursuit of Less" by Greg McKeown defined it.)

To be a bit more specific by giving examples:

Marie Kondo says some very smart and useful things; but she also talks to her socks, is obsessive-compulsive, and her mantra to not have anything in your house that doesn't "spark joy" would require tossing out the diaper pail, the 2020 income tax forms, and various other things that don't spark joy but are a practical necessity of modern life.

So we turn to the tried and true motto of William Morris's "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful." That's great advice, but even being surrounded by things that are beautiful can be over done. If you love clown sculptures but you have to add two rooms to your house to display them all.... you may be overdoing it.

So we come to Minimalism. As it is commonly misunderstood, minimalism means having nothing in your house (or your life) that isn't absolutely necessary for survival, and you should get rid of the house as well if you can. But in it's true form, minimalism is closer to Essentialism or to Voluntary Simplicity. Minimalism embraces a range of lifestyles, but the extremists somehow seem to get all the publicity.

So we move on to Essentialism which is commonly misunderstood as just a different name for Minimalism, and unfortunately a lot of books and articles on the subject present it that way --as though everything you own and everything you do in every waking moment of your life absolutely must serve a utilitarian purpose and must be moving you toward your ultimate triumphant goal! (Hogwash!)

As defined by McKeown in his excellent book, essentialism means letting go of everything in your life that doesn't contribute to your health, happiness, and contentment. Various chapters explain that getting enough sleep is essential, eating nutritious food you enjoy is essential, spending quality time with your friends and family is essential, an enjoyable spiritual life is essential, having enough time to play and exercise and just plain loaf around is essential. And oh by the way, focusing like a laser on the things that will move you most efficiently toward your financial, career, and other goals is essential too, but it's only one part of the big picture, and not the most important part.

I'm 71 and the older I get the more I want to essentialize by eliminating objects and habits and thoughts and activities that no longer serve my real goals (if they ever did) and by bringing things into my life that will serve my needs better. For example going to a restaurant is simpler than learning how to cook better and what to eat for better health, but which of those two options will best serve my essential nutritional and financial and brain stimulation needs?

I've only touched the surface here on this very complex subject of all the competing voices and confusingly vague terminology people who try to simplify run into, but you get the idea. As I said in that other thread, there are more books and videos and articles on any given aspect of simplicity than any one person could reasonably watch or read, so I always appreciate a thoughtful review of what resources someone found useful and why.

What a great post! All of the isms tied to simplicity, summarized. Based on your explnation of essentialism, yes I think that’s where I am right now.

Tybee, is Funny Farm the movie where they pay people in the town to act normal so they can sell their house?

Baby Boom is another of my all-time favorites!!! (One of our Vermont friends is actually an extra in the barn dance scene). Since moving here, I have at times thought about the scene where Diane Keaton goes off on the well guy--I frankly have felt like her at times trying to get people here to get things done!

GP, I love the idea of Essentialism--I am also making a concerted effort to pare away the "non-essentials" in my life--from the material standpoint and also from the standpoint of cutting back on activities. It's almost a spiritual practice these days for me. I'm trying to stand in a vacuum and "be me" as much as I can, trying to assess the things I do because I a) want to please others, and b) have a belief from way back that I "should" continue to do something--like hobbies I've outgrown. If I create an image of this vacuum around me, I can perhaps be patient and just wait for my "callings" to appear. Hope that's not too "woo-woo" but I really need to clean out the closet of my mind, frankly.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Tybee, is Funny Farm the movie where they pay people in the town to act normal so they can sell their house?
    It is!!

I really just think my criteria has become: do I use it (but if some things are kept purely for beauty or nostalgia that's ok too and two of what you need the most ). I don't care that much if it's beautiful either, I mean if something is functional and also beautiful that's a plus of course, but the functional is the reason to keep it.

This is more than absolutely essential to survival, for instance say you have one of those manual things you use to juice a lemon or whatever. Could you juice a lemon squeezing it with your hands into a bowl? Yea generally so, but really I'm not getting rid of it. Suppose you have a pan you only use to cook thanksgiving turkey, is that the most practical thing in the world, no way, but if every thanksgiving it comes out than that's an argument to keep it.
    Trees don't grow on money

Tybee, I love that movie. So very funny!!

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    GP, I love the idea of Essentialism--I am also making a concerted effort to pare away the "non-essentials" in my life--from the material standpoint and also from the standpoint of cutting back on activities.
    I just watched the movie "One Week". The tagline of that movie is "If you only had one day, or one week, or one month to live....what would you do?" That's a good question for all of us to ask every day. And it's also good to ask "What decision would I make right now, if I knew I was going to live to be 95 years old?" Finding the right balance between those two perspectives is supremely important and almost impossible.

A good trick for physical objects is to pretend you're going to move to a house several hundred miles away. First decide what things you would put in "open me first" boxes because you absolutely have to have them available during your first week in the new house. Then decide what things you would unpack as you started to settle in to make it feel more like home. Continue mentally unpacking until you reach the things you wouldn't bother packing up and moving that far. At that point you have the answer of what things you really want to keep. (Alternatively, you can pretend you're going to move into a cottage 1/3 the size of your house or something similar.) Looking at things this way helps to avoid the twin traps of wanting to keep everything just because you've got enough room (fear, greed) and wanting to get rid of everything just because you feel like you ought to (guilt, ego).

BTW: One Week is a good movie, but not a simple-living movie, nor a motorcycle movie, nor a sad movie. It's just a nice slow low-key drama with occasional satiric touches. It got 7 stars on imdb.com and I agree with that. Preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL-PbsZKGfw

"If you only had one day, or one week, or one month to live....what would you do?"

Read faster.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    "If you only had one day, or one week, or one month to live....what would you do?"

Read faster.
    “St. Francis of Assisi was hoeing his garden when someone asked what he would do if he were suddenly to learn that he would die before sunset that very day. 'I would finish hoeing my garden,' he replied.”

I love that.

A good trick for physical objects is to pretend you're going to move to a house several hundred miles away.
    GP, I actually did that downsize trick: Two years ago I purged two tons worth of stuff from my 2100 sq ft home of 35 years and moved with my husband to a 700 sq ft. cabin in Vermont. Yes, it was a very interesting exercise in what matters!! Not an easy one, either, but I. have no regrets.

So now I'm working on the inner me as opposed to the outer me. My mental exercise there is to just imagine me without "me"--the historical me with all the beliefs about who I am, what I've done, what I'm good at, what I suck at, and approach myself as a tabula rosa at this late stage. It's a meditative exercise, and the objective is to purge some outdated beliefs so I am freer to uncover where I go next in my last third of life.

I will check out One Week.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information