Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple Living Movies/Documentaries

Simple Living Movies/Documentaries

We have had lots of threads on simple living books, but in the Less Is Now thread, GeorgeParker asked for a way to call out good simple living videos that go beyond the minimalism angle.

Any thoughts?

Here are a couple that jump to the top of my head:

Inhabit: This is really for people who like permaculture and want to know more about its application, but I definitely associate permaculture principles with simple living.

Sacred Economics: More philosophical, and very little on the practical with regard to personal economics, but I LOVE Charles Eisenstein

A Simpler Way: Crisis as Opportunity: I have not seen this film but it looks pretty good. More of an environmental bent.

Peace Pilgrim: More of the spiritual activist bent to simple iiving

I'd love to see what others have to offer!! It's a nice cold dreary day and a great day to buckle down to a good simple living movie!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have always been confused on why people join a forum, on Simple living, and think it means minimalism. Although I did see the irony of (example), Angler (as known back then), posting multiple times on the same subject, with minimalist replies.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    I have always been confused on why people join a forum, on Simple living, and think it means minimalism. Although I did see the irony of (example), Angler (as known back then), posting multiple times on the same subject, with minimalist replies.
    I don't think that Simple Living means/is defined exactly like Minimalism, but I do see that the two are related and even intertwined. The more minimalist I do in various areas of my life, the simpler my living becomes; and the simpler I make my life, it seems the less I have and/or do which - to me - is a form of minimalism.

Edited to add: I believe one's perspective definitely plays a part in one's definition of each.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    People come to simple living through many different doors, I've found. Minimalism is just one of them. (And FWIW I read that minimalism is on the way out because of COVID and people craving comfort in their lives.)

I come to simple living through the environmental and spiritual aspects mainly, but I came to this forum through the financial aspect--YMOL. You can only achieve a simple life if you can reconcile your financial life with your values.

When I realize, as I did this morning, that I am joyful tending a fire in the wood stove and searching for resourceful solutions to small-space problems and and knowing I can afford to give my friend a few bucks for her cancer fundraiser and my local restaurant for their gofundme necessitated by COVID, and I have time to plant flowers at the local community hall and deliver meals to those that need them, I know that I'm moving closer to actualizing the simple life.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Catherine, I agree with your point that - realizing you have reached the point where you are able to do the things you truly want and have the resources to do so, is moving to the life you desire.

I find it interesting that you said minimalism is on the way out due to COVID and people craving comfort in their lives. I had posted elsewhere that, because of COVID and being unemployed for so long and in the house so much more, my desire to declutter and downsize/minimize actually grew. I was not (and still am not totally) happy in my current surroundings and definitely strive to reduce/minimize more.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Catherine, I agree with your point that - realizing you have reached the point where you are able to do the things you truly want and have the resources to do so, is moving to the life you desire.

I find it interesting that you said minimalism is on the way out due to COVID and people craving comfort in their lives. I had posted elsewhere that, because of COVID and being unemployed for so long and in the house so much more, my desire to declutter and downsize/minimize actually grew. I was not (and still am not totally) happy in my current surroundings and definitely strive to reduce/minimize more.
    VOGUE on the decor trends on the way out: “I think minimalism will begin to go by the wayside in 2021,” he says. “As we spend more time in our homes, we need more objects to hold our attention. All that empty space can be suffocating.”

Atlantic: "The Pandemic Has Made a Mockery of Minimalism"

So, I guess it depends on where you're starting. Those who strove towards minimalism are probably shopping for fluffy pillows. Those who have too much are probably editing out those things that impede a sense of serenity.

Again, agree... definitely depends on where you are starting. Definitely no fluffy pillows here!

Not a documentary, but every now and then I will watch an episode or two of Hoarding. Definitely reverse psychology for me and I find the emotional and psychological aspects that are sometimes uncovered very interesting.

I am looking forward to being in a new place with just the things I love. I don’t like it when homes are bare and devoid of personality. I am guessing that I have the right amount but will see once I get unpacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I am looking forward to being in a new place with just the things I love. I don’t like it when homes are bare and devoid of personality. I am guessing that I have the right amount but will see once I get unpacked.
    I'm with you. I think it was someone here who posted a link to, or picture of a Scandinavian apartment once that had all the warmth and personality of a meat locker. I'm not a fan of tchotchkes for their own sake, but I like art and color in a home.

Thread Information