Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple Living Movies/Documentaries

I can see minimalism as related but not necessary, especially as by a certain point in life (by 30 let's say) we have acquired a bunch of things, it may not be a ton or anything and we may even want a bit more, but it IS probably more than 100, we're not even buying anymore just to keep our things and not decide to throw/give them all away unless we really want them gone.

I can see the pandemic having made minimalism less attractive as in hoarding TP is now really attractive etc. and my kingdom for a handweight! But fluffy pillows? Bah that's pointless, pillows just get in the way of actually sitting on your sofa. I have pillows on my bed to lay on, functional pillows, that's it. There is a philosophy of have one of everything you need in tune with conserving resources etc.. It's appealing but I'm going to prepper beyond that and say have two of everything you really need the very most and use all the time, one maybe of what you use less, but very little that you don't need and use (some decor maybe).

What being in the house all the time is changed for me is I realized I really don't care about my place that much. Not in the sense that it's a terrible or something, but it's just shelter, how decorated it is is maybe of some minimal importance but very minor. I'm in it all the time and I barely see it! It's small compared to the outside world which I have come to value much more. But I keep things I use, not aiming for 100 or something.

I come to simple living through the environmental and spiritual aspects mainly, but I came to this forum through the financial aspect--YMOL.
    that's where the political divide comes from, where people are coming from oftentimes, those coming to simple living from an environmental perspective will most logically tend toward the left side of the spectrum (collective problems) although that's not absolute, economics may tend more right but that's even less absolute. I can usually live with it, the political disagreement, oh don't necessarily agree At All but that is different than living with it.
    Trees don't grow on money

You have such a clear way of expressing your point lol. I also agree with your point.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

My idea of simplicity is an absence of obligations; at least that's my major goal.

Not a movie, but it seems consistent with the discussion. I have added the book, "Less Is More, How Degrowth Will Save the World" to my reading list. Publish Dec. 2020 so its is a more contemporary view of some older issues. Read by a friend who has recommended it.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    My idea of simplicity is an absence of obligations; at least that's my major goal.
    Similar for me, but with a slight change: I want to arrange my life toward simplicity, and that includes an absence of obligations that bore me.

There are plenty of things On my to -do list for my volunteer organizations, but I don’t want to volunteer in working toward goals if I find the goal or objective uninteresting. Hopefully, I also find the actual work interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Similar for me, but with a slight change: I want to arrange my life toward simplicity, and that includes an absence of obligations that bore me.

There are plenty of things On my to -do list for my volunteer organizations, but I don’t want to volunteer in working toward goals if I find the goal or objective uninteresting. Hopefully, I also find the actual work interesting.
    I'd like to winnow down to nothing, then maybe add a few back.

The recent classic in this topic is Affluenza.

I havent watched it myself because I consider it a been there,done that concept.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I can see minimalism as related but not necessary, especially as by a certain point in life (by 30 let's say) we have acquired a bunch of things, it may not be a ton or anything and we may even want a bit more, but it IS probably more than 100, we're not even buying anymore just to keep our things and not decide to throw/give them all away unless we really want them gone.

I can see the pandemic having made minimalism less attractive as in hoarding TP is now really attractive etc. and my kingdom for a handweight! But fluffy pillows? Bah that's pointless, pillows just get in the way of actually sitting on your sofa. I have pillows on my bed to lay on, functional pillows, that's it. There is a philosophy of have one of everything you need in tune with conserving resources etc.. It's appealing but I'm going to prepper beyond that and say have two of everything you really need the very most and use all the time, one maybe of what you use less, but very little that you don't need and use (some decor maybe).

What being in the house all the time is changed for me is I realized I really don't care about my place that much. Not in the sense that it's a terrible or something, but it's just shelter, how decorated it is is maybe of some minimal importance but very minor. I'm in it all the time and I barely see it! It's small compared to the outside world which I have come to value much more. But I keep things I use, not aiming for 100 or something.

that's where the political divide comes from, where people are coming from oftentimes, those coming to simple living from an environmental perspective will most logically tend toward the left side of the spectrum (collective problems) although that's not absolute, economics may tend more right but that's even less absolute. I can usually live with it, the political disagreement, oh don't necessarily agree At All but that is different than living with it.
    I don't care about decorating anymore. It is fine as it is. I don't care about planting umpteen flowers or having everything immaculate. I easily say no when asked to do things I no longer want to do. I would rather spend my time going places and doing things that I have never done before. I realize that I am nearing the end of my life and need to DO the things that are important to me and get rid of things that do not matter in the scheme of things. I have also cut out people that are naysayers or who are jealous. Life is too short to waste time on those types. .... guess this is off topic...

I can only think of dramatic films that show “back to the land” living in a largely negative light. So, the message isn’t good for this thread I guess. But they were reaaaaaaasllly good films!

Captain Fantastic
    Leave No Trace

Both are about men who drag their children through wilderness exercises to strengthen them in body mind and soul. Also to avoid modern consumer mystic society. The specter of mental illness hangs over both of these films.

Into the Wild about Chris McCandles’s journey to Alaska and subsequent death is a lovely film, too. Not sure if this is really about a living off the land kind of thing though because I can’t remember how much he really did fish and hunt. He was ill prepared, that’s for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    I don't care about decorating anymore. It is fine as it is. I don't care about planting umpteen flowers or having everything immaculate. I easily say no when asked to do things I no longer want to do. I would rather spend my time going places and doing things that I have never done before. I realize that I am nearing the end of my life and need to DO the things that are important to me and get rid of things that do not matter in the scheme of things. I have also cut out people that are naysayers or who are jealous. Life is too short to waste time on those types. .... guess this is off topic...
    Not off topic - I agree
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information