Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Earliest Harbinger of Spring

Bird migration is something I watch for. Migrating songbirds should start showing up soon. There is a broad rule of thumb that the first hummingbirds show up on tax day, although I think they are unaware of any official postponements. Some resident and early migrating raptors are courting or passing through. Near my house there has been traditional Red-tailed hawk nest for at least the last four years and I just noticed a pair circling in tandem with some likely courtship displays. There is a Golden Eagle nesting area in the foothills that I pass on my bike rides and I've been watching for them but haven't see them yet.

When I was a kid, robins used to be a sign of spring, but there are a few here year round now. Maybe it was always that way and I never noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Bird migration is something I watch for. Migrating songbirds should start showing up soon. There is a broad rule of thumb that the first hummingbirds show up on tax day, although I think they are unaware of any official postponements. Some resident and early migrating raptors are courting or passing through. Near my house there has been traditional Red-tailed hawk nest for at least the last four years and I just noticed a pair circling in tandem with some likely courtship displays. There is a Golden Eagle nesting area in the foothills that I pass on my bike rides and I've been watching for them but haven't see them yet.

When I was a kid, robins used to be a sign of spring, but there are a few here year round now. Maybe it was always that way and I never noticed.
    I've heard that Robins are not migratory. They just tend to hang out in the woods rather than our backyards in the winter because food is more plentiful in the woods during the winter (berries rather than worms).

Yppej
    Yesterday was really nippy but looking at the long range forecast I am happy and today I put away my insulated jacket and will wear my regular winter jacket instead from here on out. It weighs less and makes me feel freer.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I've heard that Robins are not migratory. They just tend to hang out in the woods rather than our backyards in the winter because food is more plentiful in the woods during the winter (berries rather than worms).
    I was thinking about that grade school song we most of us might have sung, when the red red robin comes bob bob bob'n along.... So I looked it up. The Cornell Lab is my usual reference for bird info. I think you're mostly right, although they do say that some robin migrate and some don't depending on food supply, etc.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/i...20year%2Dround.

A couple of winters ago I was walking in the foothills and there was a huge bunch of robin eating juniper berries off the trees. I sat to watch for a while and as I was sitting there they took off in small bunches at a time. I counted in 20's and 50's and got up to 500. It was a sight for such a common bird and it was a little curious. They talk about those large groups in the Cornell article. So, I learned some things.

Speaking of birds there's a pair of hawks that have been hanging out in my back yard for the past couple of weeks, I'm hoping they're nesting in one of my trees but I haven't seen any sign of an actual nest yet. On the other hand I enjoyed watching a sparrow last week build a nest in an empty hanging planter on my front porch. It's just outside one of my windows and if I stand on tippy toe I can see the dome shaped nest she completed from inside. Unfortunately, I haven't seen her in the last few days and when I went out and peeked yesterday the nest is empty. I'm beginning to worry something happened to her.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

The tundra swans whistling overhead are my favourite sign of spring coming before anything else. They stop and feed in the farm fields and rest in the Long Point Bay of Lake Erie before continuing to the Arctic. Next are the red-winged blackbirds with their cheerful sound.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Living about six blocks from the Mississippi River, we frequently see hawks and eagles (sometimes even bald eagles) flying around the neighborhood. A few days ago I watched as an eagle circled effortlessly for maybe 10 minutes, looking for food. It didn't find any in that time, so it moved on. But those birds are so much fun to watch!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Just planned a few days getaway to go bird watching. Interestingly, the birds migrate here then in a few weeks go a few hours away and then a few weeks more another stop. We are planning our "trips" based on the last few years migration. We're staying in state and just going a few days each stop. Cheap entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Just planned a few days getaway to go bird watching. Interestingly, the birds migrate here then in a few weeks go a few hours away and then a few weeks more another stop. We are planning our "trips" based on the last few years migration. We're staying in state and just going a few days each stop. Cheap entertainment.
    Sounds wonderful. Take pictures and post!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Definitely more bird activity and if I poke around the base of some of my perennials, I see green - yeah!! I have seen only a couple of robins in the whole time I have been here in CO. Strangely, DD said there were masses of them passing through in TX where she lives right before their big freeze last month.

Thread Information