Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newspapers.....

I subscribe to the Washington Post online version and enjoy it. It was only $29 a year when I signed up, which seems reasonable for what it its. I've found that my local paper and a few others like the NYT will give a person a few articles for free each month, and often a browser refresh can extend that. I browse some headlines most days and read an occasional article from those. I sort of miss the real paper newspapers, but the local paper is pretty lame anymore.

I will say the NYT has the best newspaper app I’ve come across. The Trib’s has always been horrid.

DH and I read the paper together every morning--well except Monday. Our local dropped the Monday edition a few months ago to save $$. They do have an e-edition on that day, though.

I worked several stints at this local --- in both sports and newsroom. The staff has been reduced significantly over the past decade. It's quite sad. It's been run by one family for four generations. A truly independent local, a dying breed. The content, though, I think, is vibrant. They lean left, but really do try to include editorial columns from the more conservative columnists too. Their focus is southwest Washington with only a smattering of PDX news (local tv covers that--we're in their market).

Here's a link, if interested:
    http://columbian.com
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I subscribe to WaPo and NYT online. All small "local" papers here are owned by the same company and are beyond crap. Several used to be great papers, and I miss that, but cancelled subscriptions when it became clear that there was no actual reporting being done other than high school sports, which I could care less about.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I will say the NYT has the best newspaper app I’ve come across.
    I subscribe to the print edition of the Sunday NYT. It usually arrives in my mailbox by Tuesday afternoon. That subscription gives me access to the digital edition every day and the archives. I pay $40 per month. I believe a digital-only subscription is $17/month ($8/month for the first 12 months).
    I consider the print edition one of my high-priced discretionary pleasures. Like Archie Bunker in All In the Family, I enjoy sitting in my easy chair with both hands on the Old Gray Lady. Each time I turn a page, I can look out on my Living Room Domain, and reflect on a little more of "the news that's fit to print".

I subscribe to the online NYT.

DH and I read the paper together every morning. We do the daily quiz and discuss events. Paper is not getting better though and probably will give it up shortly. I really enjoy sitting in the morning together with "the real thing". I read the local weekly on line.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    I subscribe to the print edition of the Sunday NYT. It usually arrives in my mailbox by Tuesday afternoon. That subscription gives me access to the digital edition every day and the archives. I pay $40 per month. I believe a digital-only subscription is $17/month ($8/month for the first 12 months).
    I consider the print edition one of my high-priced discretionary pleasures. Like Archie Bunker in All In the Family, I enjoy sitting in my easy chair with both hands on the Old Gray Lady. Each time I turn a page, I can look out on my Living Room Domain, and reflect on a little more of "the news that's fit to print".
    I may have to get a NYT digital subscription again. Thanks.

I still subscribe to the local paper - it's $33 a month anymore and it's getting pretty thin. However, DH and I are officially Old Fogeys and are stuck in our habits, one of which is reading a physical paper in the morning. They do try to do in-depth stories on local and state government. Otherwise, it's local business news and sports, advice column, comics and obits.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I have the NYT digital version for $4 a month. I guess I get better rates with my .edu email. I am concerned about finding local news since dropping the paper. TV station websites I guess and maybe the local indy weekly.

Thread Information