Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newspapers.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Newspapers.....

Do you still read the newspaper? I do when I can get my hands on it for free. Rob

DH gets the newspaper each morning and an online subscription comes with that. The city newspaper is useful for local events. I don’t read it though. DH will point out things that directly affect our neighborhood or people we know.

The Hermann newspaper comes out weekly and I read it from cover to cover. It does not attempt political news.

I changed to an online local paper subscription after the paper was tossed onto my driveway and got wet too many times despite the plastic wrap. Also get the online edition of the CS Monitor for a world perspective that is not melodramatic. The rest of the info comes from online news like CBC and BBC.

I have not read a hand-held paper edition for a number of years if that was what you meant.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I have a journalism degree and was a reporter for 18 months in the early 90s.

I used to love the Chicago Tribune. They’ve gone through a number of owners and staff just keeps getting cut. They’re moving from downtown offices to the Trib printing plant in an industrial complex not far outside downtown. That is quite the change. They left the Trib Tower in 2018. A bunch of buyouts just happened and long term staffers are leaving.

Makes me very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I have a journalism degree and was a reporter for 18 months in the early 90s.

I used to love the Chicago Tribune. They’ve gone through a number of owners and staff just keeps getting cut. They’re moving from downtown offices to the Trib printing plant in an industrial complex not far outside downtown. That is quite the change. They left the Trib Tower in 2018. A bunch of buyouts just happened and long term staffers are leaving.

Makes me very sad.
    The demise of big city newspapers is one of the astonishing things of the past 20 years. Two of my relatives were trained in journalism and worked on big city paper staffs for a while.

What astonishes me though, is the amount of writing that goes into the HERMANN newspaper. Recently their staff writer retired. I can’t even describe the number of column inches that guy produced weekly, I mean pages and pages of it. I wonder who got that job and how much he is being paid, but for young journalist who want an opportunity to write —this was it.

As a matter of fact, I just canceled our local paper. We only got the Wed and Sun editions. I wanted to keep the online but they didn't give me any price break for doing so. Plus I had grown tired of the very conservative slant of the editors.

I don't read print newspapers anymore. I get an urge for the New York Times Sunday paper at times but I rarely give in. I do have online subscriptions to NYT, WSJ and WaPo, but there is something missing for sure from not flipping through and scanning the pages front to back.

IL, like you, I have an appreciation for our local papers. I'll pick up the free papers when I'm out, and I love the local angle. We have a photographer in the islands who really should be on the staff of National Geographic. His work is astounding. The content is what you would expect from a small-town paper--human interest stuff and coverage of local meetings. But it's all fun to read.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I pay for WaPo on line. Our local "newspaper" is just PR releases for local businesses with a smattering of high school sports.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    I pay for WaPo on line. Our local "newspaper" is just PR releases for local businesses with a smattering of high school sports.
    oh the high school sports news is BIG in Hermann! The girl’s volleyball team is always tops in the state, and my across-the-street neighbor kids play on the team, as did their mom. That tradition is adorable.

Our online paper is 49 for the year so I subscribed.

Thread Information