Thread: A historian looks at the current mess

A historian looks at the current mess

An excellent analysis of the current political mess by a historian.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/09/m...5b1f387d82cd47

It's a rather long piece, but you can listen to the audio version if you prefer listening instead of reading.

I'm posting this as food for thought and with the fervent request that people will discuss its content politely and logically. {fingers crossed}

That was a good read, GP. There was a paywall, but I was able to read it when I opened it in an incognito browsing tab.
    I am definitely concerned about the long-term fallout from Trump calling into question the integrity of our election process.
    I am horrified at the current polarized climate, and how it now seems that even basic facts are fodder for argument. How can we even hope to have intelligent discourse let alone come to critical agreements and make compromises on important issues if we can't even agree on anything at all?
    I think Trump has really proved beyond a doubt that he cares nothing about the welfare of this country with his election allegations, but I guess that is my reality and not necessarily everyone's.

Maybe Trump did one good thing--he opened our eyes to how easily democracy can be corrupted and nearly lost.

As a friend said when JLo broke into This Land is Our Land "We have our country back." I am so relieved, even though it seems we can never really relax.

Happy Non-Trump Day!
    Trees don't grow on money

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I worked it so I have the day off. Wearing.the outfits, doing the cooking I promised and it's just a happy day. A very happy day. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    There was a paywall, but....
    There shouldn't be a paywall, just a thing inviting you to sign up for a free account that lets you look at a certain number of NYT articles per month for free, and clicking the down arrow makes it minimize to the bottom of the screen.
    Screenshot from 2021-01-20 17-14-41.jpg
    The only time I see a paywall is if I try to access two articles without deleting cookies. That must why you needed to go incognito... You've got NYT cookies on your browser. {Where's that Sherlock Holmes smiley when I need it?}

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Maybe Trump did one good thing--he opened our eyes to how easily democracy can be corrupted and nearly lost.
    True. Sad, but true.

Stephen Colbert monologue last night.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCkNMMlB0Nk

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    There shouldn't be a paywall, just a thing inviting you to sign up for a free account that lets you look at a certain number of NYT articles per month for free, and clicking the down arrow makes it minimize to the bottom of the screen.
    Screenshot from 2021-01-20 17-14-41.jpg
    The only time I see a paywall is if I try to access two articles without deleting cookies. That must why you needed to go incognito... You've got NYT cookies on your browser. {Where's that Sherlock Holmes smiley when I need it?}
    Thanks, GP. I'll take a closer look next time.

Thread Information