Thread: Favourite coleslaw dressing

Favourite coleslaw dressing

Cabbages are wonderfully crisp and sweet this time of year. I add them to soups and stir fries but have not found a really good simple dressing for simple coleslaw. I spoke to a friend today who just mixes oil and vinegar with salt and pepper to taste. This tastes just OK to me. I dislike commercial coleslaw dressing as it tastes 'off' somehow but not sure why.
    To date, I have blended mayo with ranch dressing, mayo with some flavoured vinegar, mayo with sour cream but not found a great fresh taste. I would like a dressing that will keep for a couple of days and still taste fresh. Am I asking for the impossible?
    What is your favourite coleslaw dressing recipe?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I know what you're saying about commercial dressings, but I love Marie's coleslaw dressing, and I typically add apples and raisins to my coleslaw. If I make my own dressing, I do like to add celery seed.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Commercial cole slaw dressings often include a lot of sugar (which I didn't care for even before it gave me health problems). I'm also not the biggest fan of the flavor of mayonnaise; a little goes a long way for me. So I've been making my own dressing from a recipe I got at the justapinch.com Web site:

1/2 c real mayonaise
    1 1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (Braggs is good)
    1 tsp ground black pepper

1/2 tsp ground sea salt
    1/2 tsp celery seed
    1/2 tsp stevia or other sweetener (or you could use sugar; this is not a sweet dressing)
    1/4 c chopped spring onion (optional)

Whisk everything together, add the slaw and whatever else, mix, and let sit in the fridge for a couple of hours. I've never had to bring home from a communal meal a partial bowl of this cole slaw.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

We just sub plain yogurt for the mayo. Apple cider vinegar, dab of oil and honey.

I mix a tablespoon of Apple cider vinegar with a tablespoon of sugar, add a teaspoon of celery seed, then add enough mayo to make a thin dressing.

I bought the cider vinegar yesterday and with a mix of sugar and mayo, that is exactly the taste of what I was looking for. Another time I will try adding some raisins or celery seed for a change. Thanks!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

It’s a great thread. I need to try some of these because I’m in a rut with commercial coleslaw dressing and we eat a lot of cabbage.

Thread Information