Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading - 2021?

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    Finally had a chunk of time to read it this weekend - finished it last night. I really enjoyed it. I like historical fiction that hops back and forth in time. The author does a fascinating take on the burden (horror?) of never dying.
    Yes, I though she did too. Glad you liked it!

Just placed The Lincoln Highway in my library hold cart. 263 before me so must be a good book.

I believe someone here had recommended the Earl Derr Bigger's works. I was able to get the collection on my Kindle and just started the first one. Not normally my subject matter, but I'm giving it a try.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

On Tuesday, I stayed up until 4am to finish reading Leviathan Falls - the final novel in the Expanse series. (All 600 pages of it haha) It was a remarkably good sci-fi yarn, and a great conclusion to the series. I wish more authors that string their readers along and don't finish their fantasy series did the same...
    Earn more, spend less, invest the rest.
    www.letsretireyoung.com

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Just placed The Lincoln Highway in my library hold cart. 263 before me so must be a good book.
    Yes! I'm on the hold list at my library for that, too.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I started it but then something happened that was so heartbreaking I couldn't read it anymore.

I started reading The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson Tragic non fiction of The Great Migration- exodus of black people to the north to escape Jim Crow in the 20s and 30s. I got to page 107- after reading the backgrounds of the interviewees and the conditions- I could not read much more. It is well written, flows well but I had a screaming nightmare the night I started it. I am embarrassed that I cannot bear to read it and people lived it and are STILL living it. But, I just can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I started it but then something happened that was so heartbreaking I couldn't read it anymore.
    Oh no!

I just ordered this on Amazon, because I used to live on the Lincoln Highway well actually a couple blocks from it.

I also put Orwell's Roses on hold. It just sounded interesting to me.

Yppej
    I just checked out The Real Anthony Fauci

Thread Information