Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading - 2021?

Catherine, You might want to read Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert...the main thought is just create!

I just finished The Silent Patient which I believe was recommended upthread. It quickly went from "good read" to "cannot put down" status. There was a plot twist that I absolutely did not see coming. It made me read back a bit to make sure I was following and not missing anything. Overall, I would say it was an excellent book.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I just finished The Silent Patient which I believe was recommended upthread. It quickly went from "good read" to "cannot put down" status. There was a plot twist that I absolutely did not see coming. It made me read back a bit to make sure I was following and not missing anything. Overall, I would say it was an excellent book.

This sounded familiar to me so I looked it up and see that I have it on my Kindle. That implies that I read it. So I scrolled through past threads on this website and oh yeah I did read it. It was pretty much forgettable, sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    This sounded familiar to me so I looked it up and see that I have it on my Kindle. That implies that I read it. So I scrolled through past threads on this website and oh yeah I did read it. It was pretty much forgettable, sorry!
    I'm surprised because I thought that this was one you would really like.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I'm surprised because I thought that this was one you would really like.
    It is the rare “plot twist/surprise ending” book I like Because those books are almost always more about plotting than character development.

Gone Girl was the exception, it was deliciously nasty.

The Huntress was fantastic.

The Witch's Heart was fantastic.

American Dirt is next. We're trying a family Zoom book club.

I just finished The Leisure Seeker by Michael Zadoorian, recommended by Kay way back in 2016. I loved this book SO much. It was written with such compassion and humor and the main characters were absolutely wonderful. The author clearly created them with love. Apparently it was made into a movie, and in the movie they were traveling from Boston to Key West instead of from Detroit to Disneyland via Route 66. I can't imagine why on earth they would make that change. I think I need to seek out the movie because I want to share it with my husband and he doesn't read novels anymore, but I'm sure I could get him to watch the movie with me.
    Kay: two of the best books I read this year were recommended by you (the other one was The Snow Child).

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm listening to Gary Taubes The Case for Keto, which is so far covering old ground for me, but it's solid information, and I have the greatest respect for the author.

Yppej
    Between Two Kingdoms about a young woman diagnosed with leukemia. Totally not what I expected from the cover, which pictures someone (her?) atop a van as if the kingdoms are geographic ones she is driving to.

Finally finished Peace Pilgrim. It was okay. I found a lot of the material was repeated over and over again. I guess for the theme of the book, it was pertinent. Definitely an amazing woman!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information