Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738

Thread: What are you reading - 2021?

I suspect the book has high ratings from those who need confirmation of existing beliefs picked up from social media or who are vulnerable to conspiracy theory. The rest know enough about RFK and the anit-vaxx group not to waste their money. Unfortunately, there are probably a few who are swayed by the disinformation.

While Fauci is just fine by me, if he were replaced by another qualified and respected infectious disease expert, I doubt the message would change much anyway.

I read the linked book review. One of the comments made me laugh: "PA, you are transparently a shill for the Great Reset and New World Order. May God have mercy on your soul!" (Jonah)

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I suspect the book has high ratings from those who need confirmation of existing beliefs picked up from social media or who are vulnerable to conspiracy theory. The rest know enough about RFK and the anit-vaxx group not to waste their money. Unfortunately, there are probably a few who are swayed by the disinformation.

While Fauci is just fine by me, if he were replaced by another qualified and respected infectious disease expert, I doubt the message would change much anyway.
    That’s why Fauci needs to step down. He is a lightning rod. I agree that the message won’t change with a new face it will be same shit different day/face, But I think it’s best for the public good that he just step down. He is old and he can take all of his gold earned at the public trough and retire.

I finished in one night The Push by Ashley Audrain. I was put off in the first chapter by the fact that it was in first person and I had the sense the speaker was deranged. I plowed through that as I am reading it for a book club. I am glad I did, she was not deranged...I could NOT put it down! So at 2:30 am I finished it and it will stay with me for a long time. Similar in theme to We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Schriver . I am looking forward to the discussion . It's a new group to me and they are taking several weeks for discussion on line. I am going to recommend it to my in person library book club. Not a happy book. It's called a psychological exploration of parenthood.

I am reading “Taking Possession: politics of memory in a St. Louis townhouse “which has only local interest, none of you will be interested in it. It is looking at the history of Campbell House in the context of the rise and fall of the city of St. Louis. The author is very critical, or one could say analytical, of the socioeconomic demise of St. Louis and why that’s happening, and how preservation of Campbell House reflects essentially old white peoples’ values. That is putting such a overly generalized point to it, but that is the author’s take.

I know the way this author puts words together so I’m slogging through it even though I am one of those old white people who claim to Campbell house values as important while our a city burns down around it.

I bought it at an author book signing and I am allowing myself to underline, highlight, and make notes in it. It’s been decades since I wrote in a book because usually I use library books, but this is a book I will read and then probably discard.

Yppej
    I Keep Trying to Catch His Eye nonfiction by a man whose autistic son commits suicide. It's very hard to read.

I have been packing around a copy Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenace since the early 80's. For whatever reason. I only bothered to read only a few pages. I couldn't seem to get into it. And I have not been able to make myself purge it after all these years. I have weeded out books quite a few times throughout the years. So, I am going to read it.

Thread Information