Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading - 2021?

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Finally finished Peace Pilgrim. It was okay. I found a lot of the material was repeated over and over again. I guess for the theme of the book, it was pertinent. Definitely an amazing woman!
    I found Peace Pilgrim years ago and loved her. She does harken to a different time and her language is a bit stilted compared to how we talk and write now, but I agree--she was one of my first important simple living icons. I used to follow Friends of Peace Pilgrim.. I see they've updated their website so it's worthwhile to check out if you want to read more.

https://www.peacepilgrim.org
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'm listening to The Puzzle Solver: A Scientist's Desperate Quest to Cure the Illness that Stole His Son
    by Tracie White, about the ravages of ME/CFS. Interesting, but it remains to be seen if the family makes any inroads toward treatment.

Yesterday, I bought for my Kindle "How to Blow Up a Pipeline" by Andreas Malm--I learned of the book via an op-ed on NYT by Ezra Klein (I really like him). Interestingly, it's the ONLY book I've ever bought for Kindle that was "pending" in its delivery. I'm not usually paranoid, but...
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I bought 'On Juneteenth' by Annette Gordon-Reed to get a sense of walking in her shoes growing up in east Texas as a Black woman, with the history in her family and community of slavery. I had read a very positive review in the Christian Science Monitor about this book and her approach as a historian and law professor at Harvard. I do one chapter at a time as I find it tough to believe the horrendous abuse the Black population experienced.

Canada is not innocent in any way as the trauma to children in residential school system testifies but they were never slaves. Anyone else reading this book?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

The Male Brain. Nuff said...

Yppej
    Logevall's biography JFK.

Bill Brysons One Summer - 1927. It's an interesting non fiction of different events and how they connected. Lindbergh's flight, Babe Ruth, Al Cap
    one and the woman who changed the IRS rules so that Capone was charged with tax evasion. I enjoy the way he presents information and admire how he keeps pumping out lengthy and well researched books.
    Last edited by nswef; 7-21-21 at 9:18am.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Bill Brysons Summer of 1927. It's an interesting non fiction of different events and how they connected. Lindbergh's flight, Babe Ruth, Al Cap
    one and the woman who changed the IRS rules so that Capone was charged with tax evasion. I enjoy the way he presents information and admire how he keeps pumping out lengthy and well researched books.
    Funny, I just recommended Bryson on another forum just this moment. Even though I haven’t read him.

A friend's daughter writes youth science fiction. I'm reading the second book in one of her adventures.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I just finished a delightful book, Fresh Water for Flowers by Valerie Perrin. It is about love, loss, grief and hope, all that good stuff that makes up the human condition. The main character is the cemetery keeper in a small town in France, and I just loved her. I thought the author did a wonderful job bringing us into her world with her garden, her cats, the sights, textures and fragrances, very evocative, very sensual. I enjoyed it enormously.

Thread Information