Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading - 2021?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Are your ex-boyfriends criminally inclined and are they going to steal your “identity” for the purpose of stealing money? Do You know that’s what they will do?
    One is stealing $20 a month already in Lifeline benefits from my son. The other would harass me if he got my new number. #2 has harassed other people as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Several people have told me Zoom can be hacked and is not secure.
    I am in an industry that is SUPER sensitive about security. Because all I do is talk about proprietary products in development, I have to send all documents through secure sites for example. And I have Zoom meetings all the time. Just on Friday I did 3 telephone interviews with doctors and I had a client presentation on Zoom.

Some of my clients prefer Microsoft Teams; use of those two platforms is about evenly split. I think I have one client who uses Teams because they believe the encryption is higher than Zoom, but Zoom would never have been able to blow up in terms of usage during COVID if they couldn't convince companies of their encryption.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

We are listening to Resource Talks, interviews about resources, resource limitations, and de-growth. Or "The Resource Talks are investigations in environmental science, sustainable design, nature, and the life support systems of the planet including climate and more". Fairly academic and dense but worthwhile. Because I'm sick of reading now anyway (except whatever I read on the internet, not real reading right, ha although some of that is a little bit dense too)

Resource Talks:
    https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR...b2RjYXN0L3Jzcw

------------------

Like I've said our company was truly humane in most of it's choices (except it's indecision in the pandemic to bring us back or not, that was crazy). It was humane in not only allowing work from home (and yes the work can be done from home) but in NOT using zoom, because we don't need to share faces, just powerpoints, and screenshots and voice of course.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

I enjoyed my first John Grisham book so much, I bought another, "Camino Winds". I saw an interview he did on the CBS morning show. He said he is often criticized that his books are just "beach reads", so he decided to write one that takes place on an island. Just started it and am enjoying the "beach read".

Researched and came up with a list of 18 libraries near my home or work that do not require masks. One city councilor told me the other libraries are going to follow the example of my city. I doubt all of them will. One had what looked like a good policy to me - adults and teens come in freely, but you need an appointment for the children's library to avoid overcrowding.

Will head to the largest one with the best collection on my list tonight to stock up on books as many may be closed for the holiday weekend. Usually I go on a Saturday.

A Farewell to Gabo and Mercedes about the dementia and death of Gabriel Garcia Marquez (and I assume his wife in the second half of the book I have not gotten to yet) by his son

I just read Second Hand by Michael Zadoorian, author of The Leisure Seeker. I guess I would call it a quirky romance, with special appeal to those of us who might enjoy thrifting. I liked it.

I'm a little over half way through Stephen King's "Billy Summers". So far it's just a good novel without any gore or weirdness, although I can't imagine King not dabbling in that before it's over. Having read the majority of King's books I rate it above his average, but not outstanding in it's field. Good entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I'm a little over half way through Stephen King's "Billy Summers". So far it's just a good novel without any gore or weirdness, although I can't imagine King not dabbling in that before it's over. Having read the majority of King's books I rate it above his average, but not outstanding in it's field. Good entertainment.
    Thanks, Rogar. I'll have to request that one from the library.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Thanks, Rogar. I'll have to request that one from the library.
    A friend just recommended this one to me, and she's not normally a huge King fan.

Thread Information