Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading - 2021?

Yppej
    The Moth and the Mountain about a man who wanted to climb Everest alone and New Life, No Instructions by a woman who underwent hip surgery are the best of my current batch of books.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    The Moth and the Mountain about a man who wanted to climb Everest alone and New Life, No Instructions by a woman who underwent hip surgery are the best of my current batch of books.
    How was the Everest book? I have somewhat of an Everest obsession and am wondering if I should add it to my list.

Yppej
    RR it focused as much on the climber's World War I years as his climb. While I am not much for war books I liked it overall.

Just finished listening to Jonathan Kellerman's mystery novel Serpentine. I love the narrator, and the author's attention to detail.

Working my way through A Dangerous Breed, by Glen Erik Hamilton, another mystery. It's set in Seattle, and readable, but I find myself wandering off.

Next up: Irrreversible Damage, a book on transgender issues. I think Iris Lily mentioned it.

Now reading “Dark Invasion” by Howard Blum. It’s about German-sponsored terror cells operating in the US from 1915 on. Mostly using American recruits of German and Irish extraction, they conducted various terror and sabotage operations aimed at interfering with material support flowing from the US to the Triple Entente. There was even a bio-warfare campaign, although it was directed against American horses. The author frames the NYPD Bomb Squad as our first organized anti-terror effort. I’m one of those lowbrows who likes history that reads like a novel, so I will be looking for other books by this guy.

"Born a Crime" by Trevor Noah. It is fantastic!

Just starting "Ageless" and "The Four Winds".

Born a Crime seemed incomplete to me--as if it were part of a series.
    A friend found it too depressing to finish, but I didn't find it depressing at all.

Bright Green Fakes by Jensen, Keith, and Wilbert.
    I find it very depressing, but plan to finish it.

American Daughter - a memoir from a professional woman who tells the tale of her unhinged childhood and how she learns the mysteries of her mother's life that contributed to all the craziness. Depressing but interesting nonetheless.

Yppej
    A Strong West Wind, the third book I am reading by Boston Globe writer Gail Caldwell about her life.

Thread Information