Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading - 2021?

What are you reading - 2021?

I just finished Felicia's Journey, as part of my mission to read the books that have been on my list the longest. It was really good! The jacket blurb made comparison to Chekhov, Alfred Hitchcock, & Ruth Rendell which sounded like an interesting combination. I would describe it as deliciously creepy, but written in a manner that elevates it above the genre. Felicia is a young girl in Ireland who finds herself pregnant and goes in search of her lover, who surely would not have intentionally left her alone with no way to contact him . . .

Rosa, Thank you for this recommendation. I don’t know if I’ll read it or not, but it took me down an interesting rabbit hole of books that have won the Whitbread prize.There are very few Whitbread prize novels I have read.

whitbread prize Goes to UK authors who produce works of literary merit but are also accessible and encourage a love of reading.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Rosa, Thank you for this recommendation. I don’t know if I’ll read it or not, but it took me down an interesting rabbit hole of books that have won the Whitbread prize.There are very few Whitbread prize novels I have read.

whitbread prize Goes to UK authors who produce works of literary merit but are also accessible and encourage a love of reading.
    And I just followed you down that rabbit-hole, as though I need another list of books to lust after!

Just finished, The Nesting. It was a horror novel with an environmental theme, "mother nature strikes back!" A fast, entertaining read.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Just finished, The Nesting. It was a horror novel with an environmental theme, "mother nature strikes back!" A fast, entertaining read.
    I think we are living that battle with Mother Nature right now in .Covid times!

Did you read A Gentleman in Moscow? It’s about a Russian who’s put under house arrest for life in a hotel. The novel is several years old but it’s been discussed a couple places.

Our book club read, A Gentleman in Moscow. It had mixed reactions. I skipped much of it as too boring or long. But I did read it. It's not one I would say is a must read. currently I'm ready Lori Gottlieb's Maybe You Should Talk to Someone about a therapist who finds she need to talk to a therapist for her midlife crisis. Having had about ten years of therapy 20 years ago, I am thoroughly enjoying it. She ties in her clients and their reactions in therapy as she reports on her own behavior as a "client".

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Our book club read, A Gentleman in Moscow. It had mixed reactions. I skipped much of it as too boring or long. But I did read it. It's not one I would say is a must read. currently I'm ready Lori Gottlieb's Maybe You Should Talk to Someone about a therapist who finds she need to talk to a therapist for her midlife crisis. Having had about ten years of therapy 20 years ago, I am thoroughly enjoying it. She ties in her clients and their reactions in therapy as she reports on her own behavior as a "client".
    I like biographies so thanks for the rec.

Yppej
    Bright Precious Thing which I would call a bildungsroman except it is nonfiction, not a roman

Everything else I borrowed from the library this week is a little iffy, but some of the books may grow on me with time. I am also finishing The Brilliant Life of Eudora Honeysett which I started last year and really like. It is about a strongminded woman determined to die the way she wants.

Gentleman is on my list and I just added Eudora.

I'm just starting Hand to Mouth, Living in Bootstrap America, by Linda Tirado. It promises to be depressing, but I have a trove of cozy mysteries featuring talking cats that I can wash it down with.

Thread Information