Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading - 2021?

"Why We Sleep" by Matthew Walker. What modern science says about what happens when we sleep and how it is an integral part of our biological function. Written by a scientist who has studied sleep as his life's work for decades. Totally accessible as well as entertaining. Fascinating.

Yppej
    Good Friday On the Rez about a friendship between two men, one white and one Lakota, nonfiction

Yppej
    If You Lived Here You'd Be Home By Now, a simple living story about a family that moves from the DC Beltway to rural Minnesota

Hitler’s American Gamble

I skimmed through Dopesick by Beth Macy.

I have followed the court case with Pharma, seen directly the impact on individuals and communities and the anguish of families dealing with this horrible disease so found the book more of a confirmation of all that I have seen and heard. Very readable!
    It seems that each community will need its own treatment centre. It is tragic!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Just finished The Fixer by Joseph Finder. It was a fun read of the action/adventure type, kind of like a Lee Child book. The author lives in Boston, so it's always fun to be personally familiar with the places mentioned in the novel. He has written several other books, and I definitely hope to read more of them.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I skimmed through Dopesick by Beth Macy.

I have followed the court case with Pharma, seen directly the impact on individuals and communities and the anguish of families dealing with this horrible disease so found the book more of a confirmation of all that I have seen and heard. Very readable!
    It seems that each community will need its own treatment centre. It is tragic!
    I think I read Dopesick, but I've read several others on the subject, and they all run together. It's definitely a cautionary tale.

Just starting "Oh William!," by Elizabeth Strout of "Olive Kitteredge" fame. Loved the Olive books.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Yppej
    KayLR that is one I have on my list to read.

Mom & Me & Mom by Maya Angelou, autobiography

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I look forward to hearing your opinion!
    Finally had a chunk of time to read it this weekend - finished it last night. I really enjoyed it. I like historical fiction that hops back and forth in time. The author does a fascinating take on the burden (horror?) of never dying.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Thread Information