Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading - 2021?

Dado had suggested reading Bill Bryson's Shakespeare: the world as stage. It is really interesting in describing the horrible lives that people lived in that time period. The plague came and went regularly and theatre shut down along with so many other interactions in people's lives. Society suffered and survived. What a wake-up!
    Bryson really clarifies how little we know about Shakespeare himself. Good book!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Dado had suggested reading Bill Bryson's Shakespeare: the world as stage. It is really interesting in describing the horrible lives that people lived in that time period. The plague came and went regularly and theatre shut down along with so many other interactions in people's lives. Society suffered and survived. What a wake-up!
    Bryson really clarifies how little we know about Shakespeare himself. Good book!
    I think I'll try to get a copy of that book! I love Bill Bryson, but I never read his book about Shakespeare. Great writer/Shakespeare/history--how can I resist?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    Assume Nothing by a woman who was in an abusive relationship with the attorney general of New York

Just got a pile of Bill Bryson books from the library to take on vacation. also an Anne Cleeves- Shetland .

I recently finished Hour of the Witch, Chris Bohjalian's latest. It was a good read (fiction) about a woman in the era of the Salem witch trials. She was married to an abusive but powerful man in a time when women didn't have much power in society. Forks played an important part in the story, and it is so hard for me to fathom that people seriously perceived them as something evil, "the devil's tines." Then again, I suppose people believe some pretty crazy stuff in the here and now, so why would I be so surprised?

Bill Bryson's Shakespeare! Yes, thanks for the recommendation . I've learned a lot and enjoyed it.

I just finished Rhonda Hetzel's Down to Earth. I think I learned of her blog from someone here, and I do like her and her voice. I will say the book was pleasant, but it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. There is one bit of wisdom I am still chewing over, which is that housework is never done, so don't hurry and try to enjoy the process. That was apparently an epiphany for her. It hasn't quite hit me the same way, but I am pondering it. There is also a cinnamon cake recipe in there that DH wants to try. Eating homemade cinnamon cake sounds even more pleasant than philosophically pondering housework.

Non much time for reading of late :-( but am reading "the WAR of ART" by Steven Pressfield. Interesting book about how fear limits our creativity. So many truths spoken here!

The Elements We Live By translated from a Norwegian physicist. She explains in very simple terms how all the elements in the periodic table form the world we know including ourselves and all the things we use. Anyway, I might have loved physical science in high school had this been the text we used.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg44 View Post
    Non much time for reading of late :-( but am reading "the WAR of ART" by Steven Pressfield. Interesting book about how fear limits our creativity. So many truths spoken here!
    Wow, that looks like a good one. I feel I've always been "the reluctant artist"--meaning I'm a very technical one. I learn "how" to do art, whether it's grammar and sentence structure, or techniques on drawing perspective, or abiding by rules for performance, but because I'm so bound by "doing it right," getting my fear and my brain out of the mix is very difficult.

I'm definitely going to put that on my list.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information