Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: What are you reading - 2021?

The Premonition: A Pandemic Story, nonfiction on communicable diseases from the viewpoint of a public health officer. It savages the CDC.

Braiding Sweetgrass. The more I am drawn to the garden, the more I seek out books that honor the wisdom of nature.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Braiding Sweetgrass. The more I am drawn to the garden, the more I seek out books that honor the wisdom of nature.
    Me, too, pinkytoe. Just yesterday, I was just looking at Braiding Sweetgrass on Amazon! Let me know if you recommend it.

On that note, I'm currently reading Flying Blind: One Man's Adventures Battling Buckthorn, Making Peace with Authority, and Creating a Home for Endangered Bats. Light, nice reading.

On another thread I mentioned Chelsea Green, and that's one of the books on their sale list (I think I bought it during their summer sale last year). You can actually buy the hardcover version for 2.50. https://www.chelseagreen.com/product/flying-blind/
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

"Get your sh*t together : how to stop worrying about what you should do so you can finish what you need to do and start doing what you want to do"

I haven't read it, but I love the title so I'm adding it here for anyone who might be interested.

Long Bright River, a novel with a policewoman as the protagonist - sort of a detective story although she is not a detective but a patrol officer

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Me, too, pinkytoe. Just yesterday, I was just looking at Braiding Sweetgrass on Amazon! Let me know if you recommend it.

On that note, I'm currently reading Flying Blind: One Man's Adventures Battling Buckthorn, Making Peace with Authority, and Creating a Home for Endangered Bats. Light, nice reading.

On another thread I mentioned Chelsea Green, and that's one of the books on their sale list (I think I bought it during their summer sale last year). You can actually buy the hardcover version for 2.50. https://www.chelseagreen.com/product/flying-blind/
    Battling buckthorn? I know buckthorn was an ornamental green shrub, nice to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Battling buckthorn? I know buckthorn was an ornamental green shrub, nice to look at.
    Extremely invasive.

According to Vermont Fish and Wildlife site:

Common buckthorn, like many invasive shrubs and trees, leafs out early and retains leaves later, allowing this species to crowd and shade out native vegetation. It also monopolizes food, water, and light effectively outcompeting other plants.

Common buckthorn berries contain a natural laxative that aids its spread but prevents the birds and mammals that feed on the fruit from absorbing necessary sugars. It is also a host for crown rust fungus and Asian soybean aphid, agricultural pests affecting oat and soybean crops respectively. Buckthorn leaves have a high nitrogen concentration, which can increase the amount of nitrogen in the soil and affect what other species can grow in the area.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I am in an industry that is SUPER sensitive about security. Because all I do is talk about proprietary products in development, I have to send all documents through secure sites for example. And I have Zoom meetings all the time. Just on Friday I did 3 telephone interviews with doctors and I had a client presentation on Zoom.

Some of my clients prefer Microsoft Teams; use of those two platforms is about evenly split. I think I have one client who uses Teams because they believe the encryption is higher than Zoom, but Zoom would never have been able to blow up in terms of usage during COVID if they couldn't convince companies of their encryption.
    IIRC the big problem with Zoom was the sudden rush of new users who weren't aware of the security precautions they need to invoke while setting up a Zoom meeting. Zoom should have told all new users in big bold red letters that the default settings suck security wise, and apparently they didn't, so they ended up with a big black eye PR-wise.

A novel, the first one I've read in many moons, "The Last Bookshop in London."
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    A novel, the first one I've read in many moons, "The Last Bookshop in London."
    Please let us know how you like it, since I seem to like the same books you do.

Thread Information