Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading - 2021?

Washington at War by David Brinkley. It's about the transformation of Washington from a sleepy southern town to the city we know it as. He was a young reporter in DC during the war. I first read this during my freshman year of college (87-88) and just loved it. Lost the paperback sometime along the way and was thrilled to see it's on Kindle recently. I've been on a World War II kick.

Yppej
    Buses Are A Comin' by a Freedom Rider from Atlanta.

I just finished The Big Machine by Victor Lavalle (another one that was on THE LIST for a long time). I had really high hopes for this book. I loved some of the characters and I liked the author's sense of humor, but the whole tale just never really clicked for me. I liked enough about his style that I would perhaps try another one by him someday, but I cannot really recommend this one.

Yppej
    Group about a woman's experiences in therapy.

Also Shook which you might like RR because it is about Everest.

Tinderbox: the untold story of the Up Stairs Lounge fire and the rise of gay liberation, by Robert W Feiseler.
    It's not riveting, but I'm only 10% into it.

Shook looks interesting. Thanks, Jeppy.

I will have to take a look at Group, that looks interesting. Just revisited Sue Miller's short stories Inventing the Abbotts andwill probably look at Beattie or Maxwell stories next. Was reading paperback thrillers picked up out of the Hannaford donation bin, but realized life is very short, and why not read really well-written, beautiful fiction, and not these thrillers--though might finish The Woman in the Window. Maybe.

The Indifferent Stars Above about the Donner Party who headed out for California in the 1800s and met a tragic fate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I will have to take a look at Group, that looks interesting. Just revisited Sue Miller's short stories Inventing the Abbotts andwill probably look at Beattie or Maxwell stories next. Was reading paperback thrillers picked up out of the Hannaford donation bin, but realized life is very short, and why not read really well-written, beautiful fiction, and not these thrillers--though might finish The Woman in the Window. Maybe.
    for me it is such a dilemma, quality vs junky fiction.

the junk stuff tends to be easy to dive into, but it is not satisfying.

the good stuff tends to require more effort to step into the author’s world. But then, worth it.

but my short attention span any more, fed by too much pod casting and you tubing, keeps me from being able to appreciate good fiction. I cannot think of the last good novel I read, it has been a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    The Indifferent Stars Above about the Donner Party who headed out for California in the 1800s and met a tragic fate.
    Was it a good one? I am fascinated by the Donner Party saga. In fact, cannibalism in general is a subject that fascinates me.

Thread Information