Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oyster Shucking

Oyster Shucking

Does anyone shuck their own oysters? I was thinking this might be a good skill to acquire, especially since I don't anticipate eating in a restaurant in the very near future. I would of course wait until my hand heals!

Yes, we do. I have shucked clams and scallops, and my DH/DS have recently shucked oysters a few times (we have a great fish market here). It's not difficult at all, once you get the technique down. At the same time, it's tough on your hands. Not a fun kitchen job, but it's worth it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

It is not a skill that I have acquired since I have only ever eaten oysters once in Prince Edward Island with a huge audience watching how a novice could swallow it. Sort of like "kissing the cod" in Newfoundland which is another skill that I have not repeated.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yes, I have, and like Catherine said, it takes practice. I wear a pair of gardening gloves with rubber palms. I have a shucking knife-tool thing made for the purpose. Here in WA, if you go out gathering oysters, you must shuck them onsite and leave the shells behind.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Oysters grow within easy bicycling range of my house. I shuck a lot of oysters.

My daughter worked at the oyster farm for her summer job for 3 years. She can shuck oysters as fast as she picks them up. So when she's home, I let her do the shuckin'

What a talented bunch! Thanks for the input.
    Kay, that is really interesting about the shells. So if you want to eat them on the half shell, you need to eat them there?

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    What a talented bunch! Thanks for the input.
    Kay, that is really interesting about the shells. So if you want to eat them on the half shell, you need to eat them there?
    I guess so, if you were willing to also inadvertently ingest some sand.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Hey you guys, I finally did it! I am ridiculously pleased with myself!
    oysters.jpg

Well played! You only get better and faster the more you practice!

Nice! Congrats!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information