Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dave Ramsey

Dave Ramsey

If you had ever asked my opinion on DR, I would have said he wasn't my cup of tea due to the religious angle, but his advice has helped a lot of people get out of debt, and that certainly is a good thing. I was just reading a thread on the MMM Forum about him, and someone linked to this article. It is long but quite interesting, and my updated opinion is that the man is a complete and total ass, and also somewhat dangerous. I'm sharing a link to the article in case anyone else is interested.

https://religionnews.com/2021/01/15/...sex-and-covid/

Wow. I am a Dave Ramsey fan, and I have listened to hundreds of his podcasts, and I've read a couple of his books, I followed his plan for a while, which my helped financial situation a lot, and I firmly believe that for certain people his plan is foolproof. If you follow his Baby Steps, you ARE going to be financially solvent. Also, yes, he has a very no-nonsense approach, which I like. He tells people who are "doing stupid" with their money that they are doing stupid in no uncertain terms. Being an over-analyzer, I appreciate the tight boundaries around his "rules" and his unambiguous stance.

His personality does come through in his radio shows, so I'm disappointed, but not surprised at the level of control and sanctimony he exerts in the workplace. These stories, if true, are a horrible testimony.

He will occasionally wax political on his shows with his ultra-conservative views, but I generally just ignore those rants, because I do find his talks with callers to be highly entertaining.

Thanks for posting. He and Trump appear to have a few personality traits in common.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

All I can said is...evangelicals. They get some really weird ideas about stuff. Big cults of personality.

yeah - I read that too. What a jerk.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I've always been of the opinion that he was a huckster.

If one is going to fire all employees that have premartial sex they will have .... like maybe one celibate employee left afterward. He's into self-delusion clearly.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    If one is going to fire all employees that have premartial sex they will have .... like maybe one celibate employee left afterward. He's into self-delusion clearly.
    Or maybe he's just added an Eleventh Comandment:
    Whatsoever thou doest, thou shalt not get caught or thou shalt surely be fired.

Ramsey's Baby Steps are probably as good as you will find for getting out of debt and getting your financial house in order. Especially if you don't have much knowledge of personal finance. As for the rest of it I would tell then to ignore the rhetoric. As for Evangelicals, I am sure we can find folks who practice Catholicism, Judaism, Islam etc who are just as fanatical in the structure of their business.

I think the Ramsey Baby Steps are terrific, and he gives a lot of very good advice. Apparently he gives some not so good advice, too, and runs his business in a way that offends many. I think he has contributed a lot to many people and helped them get out of debt and out of despair.

So I think you could like his advice and appreciate his contributions, and disapprove of how he runs his business or how he advises people on who they should sleep with and then. I don't think those two things are inconsistent.

Religion is dangerous, LOL.
    Having heard him talk on Hobby Lobby and the cake, case, it doesn't surprise me that he wants only zealots around him. I doubt he would want an agnostic, or atheist coming in a taking the baby steps, the way he said he got them from another author and the bible (so that would just make him a better marketer), and then forming something like a Richard Dawkin's get out of debt, program.
    Also, as a business owner, doesn't surprise me he is a control freak.
    That said, he does do good, consistent with most of his belief's, not so sure about the forgiveness aspect, and based on my prejudice with religious people having extremist views on children/descendants of rape, I am not sure how he would have reacted to non consensual sex or a single person being a surrogate.
    Dave and I had a mutual friend. When he passed, Dave once mentioned wanting to have the current replacement one on the air, but it never happened. I expect him being not as religious had something to do with it.

Thread Information