Page 16 of 52 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Hermann house renovation

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    nice, IL. I must say, you are the most colorful person I know when it comes to appliances!
    After buying two stoves and knowing what I know now, I would just go into an appliance store and say to the salesman look salesman, I’m interested in color. What do you know about the appliances you sell and colors they come in?

Some dealers offer custom colors for an up charge but they do not promote it. I wouldn’t have known I could get a Periwinkle colored stove without seeing one in an appliance store. These appliance manufacturers don’t promote their option for custom paint colors.

Another option is to get a Home Depot range in white or stainless steel or whatever standard finish you want, and buy aftermarket knobs in bright colors. That is much more affordable and it’s really cute.

This Big Chill stove is American, another plus in its favor. Designed in Colorado, assembled
    in Pennsylvania.

I haven’t decided about a refrigerator yet. Right now we’re going to stick with the refrigerator we’ve got in Hermann which is black. It’s at least 15 years old. I’m not keen on spending $4000 on a Big Chill matching red refrigerator. The stove and refrigerator are on opposite sides of the room in the Hermann kitchen so they don’t need to be matchy matchy.

I’m talking to DH about buying a standard new refrigerator and having it spray painted by an auto body shop a cherry red color. He said he would take it apart to deliver the panels to the body shop and that is the labor intensive part.

The dishwasher will have a cabinet panel on it so it will look like cabinetry.

I love the stove. I didn’t know that they came in all those colors until you mentioned it.

Your old paid for refrigerator, what does it look like (not color)?

They make/sell vinyl based paint that are used to change car interiors (although may not be a perfect match to your stove), or you could (since working and paid for/experiment), take thin aluminum, have the body shop match the stove paint, and use construction adhesive to mount it to the fridge.
    Your next fridge, they do sell some designed for cabinet doors, could have wood, matching the cabinets, with a metal stove matching insert.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Your old paid for refrigerator, what does it look like (not color)?

They make/sell vinyl based paint that are used to change car interiors (although may not be a perfect match to your stove), or you could (since working and paid for/experiment), take thin aluminum, have the body shop match the stove paint, and use construction adhesive to mount it to the fridge.
    Your next fridge, they do sell some designed for cabinet doors, could have wood, matching the cabinets, with a metal stove matching insert.
    i won’t paint our old refrigerator because it won’t last long, but I would buy a new, inexpensive one to paint.

I did think about cabinet panels for a refrigerator but that is just to expensive, and not important to me.

Your idea about thin aluminum painted red is interesting. I could see that working.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    i won’t paint our old refrigerator because it won’t last long, but I would buy a new, inexpensive one to paint.

I did think about cabinet panels for a refrigerator but that is just to expensive, and not important to me.

Your idea about thin aluminum painted red is interesting. I could see that working.
    If your old one can hold a magnet on it, you could use it as a template and put magnets on the back of the aluminum painted panel and transfer it.

Last Saturday DH asked our architect and neighbor if he could use their shower. He hadn’t showered for several days and our friend was coming to Hermann To check out progress on the house.

I have to say that’s pretty ballsy to ask your neighbor for use of their bathroom shower.

I am in Hermann for a couple of days planting lilies.

DH has made himself a nice little apartment in the basement. Picture follows. He has a toilet and cold running water to a sink. There is no bathing facility however. But this is an improvement over a couple of months ago.

The corner you will see his spare stove. He’s planning on making a “canning kitchen “down the basement in addition to it being his shop..

B3E59FC7-8A5F-4CAC-BB5F-FB68630557BE.jpgC7A5A6A6-A33C-4334-AE40-3585F6CAF867.jpg

Cute! But just cold running water - I can understand why he asked the neighbors to use their shower!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I am in Hermann for a couple of days planting lilies.

DH has made himself a nice little apartment in the basement. Picture follows. He has a toilet and cold running water to a sink. There is no bathing facility however. But this is an improvement over a couple of months ago.

The corner you will see his spare stove. He’s planning on making a “canning kitchen “down the basement in addition to it being his shop..

B3E59FC7-8A5F-4CAC-BB5F-FB68630557BE.jpgC7A5A6A6-A33C-4334-AE40-3585F6CAF867.jpg
    Great pics! So glad DH is making a place there for himself and his homesteading pursuits.

One of the best unanticipated features and benefits of our little house was one of the three outbuildings, which had been outfitted with a table top and industrial lamp and 1960s era radio.

DH immediately found a home in it, especially since he smokes and I won't allow smoking in the house--so this liltle cabin is his retreat-house, sin-house, community enclave. We have fit 6 people in this little, smelly, dusty 4-8 structure, with people laughing and drinking, smoking and playing music until 4 in the morning.

Maybe that's why I get so upset with HGTV people who have to have a half a mile of kitchen island with fancy chandeliers and expensive finishes so that they can "entertain." We have proven you don't need much to have a place of your own where you can sit solo while painstakingly cutting the buds off your marijuana plant (which DH is doing as we speak), figuring out how to change a spark plug in a riding mower, or host a half a dozen neighborhood people siting on stools, stumps, or just standing.

So, think about DH's basement apartment as an entertainment space! .
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information