Page 38 of 52 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Hermann house renovation

Wow! Those tiles are adorable!!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Wow! Those tiles are adorable!!
    We see this kind of tile pattern everywhere, it is fairly common in old houses. But I never thought about how much time it takes to make a custom design like this. He has to cut these tiny tiles, sometimes in half, sometimes 3/4, to get it all to fit against walls and tub. And then, he has to clean off every bit of adhesive and tape on the blue tiles because they’re part of a roll of blue tile. It is labor-intensive.

Grout in both tiled bathrooms are a medium stone color. I learned from my decorating guru that grout should always be “a color of stone. “

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Here are images of our 3rd bathroom, tile work in progress. DH is punching out little blue octagon tiles from a hunk of blue tile, and inserting them into a pattern within white tile. This bathroom will be cute, small of course.

Attachment 4868
    Took me a minute on the second picture. Was trying to figure out the hole in the wall and thought that was a shelf with too low of ledge. Then realized it was the tub and the hole was probably a floor vent.

I also like the tile. Very cute!

So much work, but definitely very nice tile!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    We see this kind of tile pattern everywhere, it is fairly common in old houses. But I never thought about how much time it takes to make a custom design like this. He has to cut these tiny tiles, sometimes in half, sometimes 3/4, to get it all to fit against walls and tub. And then, he has to clean off every bit of adhesive and tape on the blue tiles because they’re part of a roll of blue tile. It is labor-intensive.

Grout in both tiled bathrooms are a medium stone color. I learned from my decorating guru that grout should always be “a color of stone. “
    I believe that the customized tile is labor-intensive, but you guys will think about DH's handiwork every time you walk into that bathroom.

Thanks for the grout tip. That's good to know.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Finished with major things in this bathroom #3: tile,, wainscoting, paint, fixtures set in place. Needs several small things but basics are done.

This little bathroom looks like it was part of the original build from 1941, but it is in a dormer built 12 months ago.

I show the bathtub surround only to show how extremely plain it is. You can’t identify the tile in time, was it put in 1941? 1981? 2022?
    488618B0-5A11-40D1-BF24-F51BB23E736E.jpg

504454FC-9382-4167-86C5-036E3BFFBD0E.jpg

D5B6BDB5-7212-44F7-B2E1-87137217D74C.jpg

I think it looks great, and a small bathroom doesn't need to be all that exciting in the basic infrastructure. After all, it will merely serve as the backdrop for the perfect toilet brush holder! Our toilet brush holder discussion reminded me of when we got our tiny one and only bathroom remodeled (can it really have been 20 years ago?) My grand obsession at the time was toothbrush holders and I came up with two new words:
    Obsessorizing - obsessing about accessories
    Excessorizing - when you can't decide which toothbrush holder, so you buy several
    I suspect you can relate.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I think it looks great, and a small bathroom doesn't need to be all that exciting in the basic infrastructure. After all, it will merely serve as the backdrop for the perfect toilet brush holder! Our toilet brush holder discussion reminded me of when we got our tiny one and only bathroom remodeled (can it really have been 20 years ago?) My grand obsession at the time was toothbrush holders and I came up with two new words:
    Obsessorizing - obsessing about accessories
    Excessorizing - when you can't decide which toothbrush holder, so you buy several
    I suspect you can relate.
    Oh yes! But I am not a fan of toothbrush holders because I don’t want them sitting out on the counter with the toilet flushing sending aerosol sprays. I’d like them to be in a drawer. And boy are there tons of toothbrush holders! I mean there’s must be 1 million of them. There’s not nearly that many toilet brush holders.

I think I’m going to reject a mirrored medicine cabinet I bought for this bathroom months ago because it’s too big. I know better than to buy things before I absolutely have to.

I keep staring at Catherine’s toilet brush holder and it’s so solid and artsy, I really like it.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 11-2-22 at 10:44pm.

The bathroom is cute IL!

Thread Information