Page 14 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Hermann house renovation

Great house, IL! Thanks for sharing pictures.

Classic cottage--and I love your airplane hangar!

I am a big fan of old houses. I owned 2 houses that were newer and everyone had one of 6 floor plans. Ugh! They were both bought in hot markets when we needed somewhere to live with kids. My last house was a 1950’s ranch but they weren’t all the same because people had changed them through the years. With no Hoa even yards were unique. My 2nd husband is still in the house that we bought new and loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I am a big fan of old houses. I owned 2 houses that were newer and everyone had one of 6 floor plans. Ugh! They were both bought in hot markets when we needed somewhere to live with kids. My last house was a 1950’s ranch but they weren’t all the same because people had changed them through the years. With no Hoa even yards were unique. My 2nd husband is still in the house that we bought new and loves it.
    I’ve been thinking to myself this week that if I were to build a new house from scratch probably the floorplan would look very similar to what we’ve ended up with in this Hermann house. I would probably make two of the bedrooms bigger by a couple of feet and add walk-in closet to one or two of them. I would make the bathrooms a bit bigger. But overall, I like the idea of a one and a half story house. Everything is on the first floor and extra rooms are on the upper floor if you need them.

Two of our close friends who moved away from our neighborhood ended up with modern one and a half story houses, also with walkout basements. So all of us went from our 1880s houses to 1950s style houses.

As much as I love my small house, sometimes I wish we had more room for guests. In my dreams I consider the possibility of bumping up the roof and creating dormers and two small bedrooms. Our zoning restricts us from expanding the footprint, so building up would be the only possibility.

But that will probably never happen, as saving money now is more important to me than indulging in a wish list.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

We went to a flooring place near Hermann. We are installing oak floors throughout the entire house except for the living room which already has a nice oak floor. Well, we are also keeping one old pine floor in one bedroom because, well, I like it.

Anyway—The flooring people who sell nothing but floors with a little bit of wall tile had this to say about oak floors: “ you want WHAT? You want oak flooring that’s laid and then someone comes in later to finish it? WHY!?? We never do that normally, that’s a special order. You’ll have to talk to the owner of our store about that.”

Sigh, it is hard to be an old person and have Olde ideas of quality. Yet, we had no trouble getting that product in the city for my condo, the flooring guy did not look at us like we had two heads.

Real oak floors are beautiful. I have however a fan of laminate for the durability factor. Our last house had real wood in the original part of the house. I don’t know if my ex didn’t put enough layers of sealer but there were places that it was worn off in 9 years.

I'm definitely hijacking this thread in the interest of the topic being about home renovations/redecorations. It's not worthy of its own thread.

You guys know the angst I've had over color in my "Crayola house". I like neutral, DH loves the wacky color. Well, I finally painted the living area from the dull green it was (and I love green, so you know it had to be a dull green) to neutral, and I've always loved the combo of sky blue and cream, so that's what I did. Here's a photo. I've bought bamboo up/down blinds, and am keeping to a blue/white overall theme, but I still have to reupholster the wing chair (hence the throw over it--remnant I found in a fabric shop that will make do until I get to business), and I'll use some saturated color in that. But for now, I'm pretty satisfied. I think it looks like me. I also am looking for a table to replace the green metal bistro table.

IMG_2919.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Beautiful Catherine! That is so Vermont Cottage!

I love it, Catherine! I like a serene backdrop with any punches of color coming from furnishings, art, or other accessories. I think it's coming together wonderfully!

Thread Information