Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Hermann house renovation

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    What a daunting undertaking! I'm sure it will be fabulous when done.
    Ditto. I can't even imagine!

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Of course IL’s photos are sideways.
    Except for the one that's upside-down!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    All of the drywall, wallboard, ceiling plaster, and especially all of the cheap paneling, needs to come off all of the walls. This will of course will be a major major cost. The drywall is early versions of it that is more like cardboard than anything else it is awful stuff.

Attachment 3586
    Our house had that throughout and we still have it in the kitchen. Awful stuff indeed.

Can’t wait to see it when it’s done!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Our house had that throughout and we still have it in the kitchen. Awful stuff indeed.
    You have that early drywall as well? I haven’t run into it before. Did you remove it from the rest of your house?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    You have that early drywall as well? I haven’t run into it before. Did you remove it from the rest of your house?
    Yes, at this point we have gutted every room in the house except the kitchen and replaced everything down to the studs on the inside with blueboard and plaster, and stripped the exterior (old faux brick asphalt siding) down to the sheathing and replaced with cedar shingles and replaced all the windows and doors. We have replaced all the old vinyl floors (in every single room, even bedrooms) with prefinished oak hardwood. Your silk purse/sow's ear analogy rings true for me because it's still a weird little house with an awkward floor plan, although now a rather nice one except for the kitchen. I always described that wallboard as being "like particleboard made of cardboard instead of wood." I guess Homasote was one popular brand name for the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Yes, at this point we have gutted every room in the house except the kitchen and replaced everything down to the studs on the inside with blueboard and plaster, and stripped the exterior (old faux brick asphalt siding) down to the sheathing and replaced with cedar shingles and replaced all the windows and doors. We have replaced all the old vinyl floors (in every single room, even bedrooms) with prefinished oak hardwood. Your silk purse/sow's ear analogy rings true for me because it's still a weird little house with an awkward floor plan, although now a rather nice one except for the kitchen. I always described that wallboard as being "like particleboard made of cardboard instead of wood." I guess Homasote was one popular brand name for the stuff.

We had a similar era house in Illinois once, and there was a 15 year period where they made cardboard sewer pipes--seriously, compressed paper product--so needless to say, that was a bad idea that went away, but when your pipes inevitably failed, it was many thousand dollars to replace the sewer pipe from the house to the street.

Tybee: That is just nuts. Whoever could have thought that was a good idea? Boggles the mind.

I know, right? IL, I finally got the picture to work and I really like that staircase. What did you replace it with?

What is the current kitchen becoming?
    Have you looked in the attic, to see why the stair landing is short?
    I wonder when was your house started, and when was it finished the first time? If they started in 41 and then ran into the issue of getting stuff, after WWII started?

Thread Information