Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with sun dried tomatoes?

What to do with sun dried tomatoes?

Because of a lack of communication with SO and his tendency to overbuy ingredients because he is more food motivated than me we had a lot of little tomatoes. I used the dehydrator and turned them into delicious sun dried tomatoes. I made a pizza with them and goat cheese today that was great. What else could we use them for? The recipe I used to make them said they are only good for 4-5 days in the fridge and we probably don’t want more pizza that soon.

On pasta with olive oil and Parmesan?

I've used them in salad dressing
    Trees don't grow on money

Freezer instructions: Spread the sun-dried tomatoes out in an even layer on a parchment-covered baking sheet or plate. Then transfer to the freezer for at least 2 hours, or until the tomatoes are frozen. Remove and transfer the tomatoes to a freezer-safe bag, squeeze out any extra air, then freeze for up to 3 months.

I used some recently to make a vegetarian nduja. It's a sausage spread from Calabria. You'd need to reconstitute them first I think. These are combined with olives and a few seasonings to make a paste that I swear could be sausage. Just Google vegetarian nduja and you'll find it. It's from the book Umami Bomb.

Many chop them up and put them in muffins?

Seems odd to me that a dried fruit (essentially what these are) would last only 4-5 days in the 'fridge -- unless they were in oil or such.

Other ideas: chop up and add to omelets or salads. Or to cream cheese or butter to anoint toast, bagels, or baked potatoes. Chop up more finely and add a little to soups and stews to provide more of a umami taste than an overt tomato flavor.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Throw them in any stir-fry. I keep them in my fridge for close to a year. Cover them in EVOO. Then scoop some out for the beginning of every stir-fry and you've got flavored oil!

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Throw them in any stir-fry. I keep them in my fridge for close to a year. Cover them in EVOO. Then scoop some out for the beginning of every stir-fry and you've got flavored oil!
    That is a great idea!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

One of our favorite sides is fresh kale (torn into small pieces) lightly sautéed in olive oil along with thinly sliced red onion, garlic and sun-dried tomatoes. Splash with balsamic vinegar right before removing from pan.

Thread Information