Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying Clothing online

I used to swear by Lands End but over the last several years the cuts of their tops are way too small. I laid a new from them top size 2x on an old XL and the old XL was bigger! Our Boscov's has clothes that I need to clear out old clothes and see what will work with what's left, otherwise I end up with lots of tops that only go with 1 bottom.

I have only bought a couple of tops in the past year or so. I am a fan of Eddie Bauer. So far their quality has not tipped too far and I know how it will fit me. I love their bottoms, a little less enthused with the tops. LL Bean is pretty much the same. Love their bottoms, a little less enthused about the tops. I used to buy from Lands End but haven't in a while. I got basic tops from them. Although I dress professionally for my volunteer positions, it is far from dressy so I haven't needed dress clothes for ages. I used to order from J Jill for those. If not out and about I can be found in yoga pants (winter/spring) and capri pants (summer/fall) with either cool or warm weather top. I go through shoes more than anything since I am walking 4-5 miles a day with the dogs.
    I will add that I have been eyeing a battery heated vest for years. I finally ordered one on Amazon back in November. I could not be more in love. I wear it camping. I wear it on cold mornings out with the dogs. I wear it in the house to snuggle down with a good book. One of my most favorite purchases ever. Bliss!!

Yppej
    I'm glad to see everyone responding nicely to MSChrigo2 and no one bashing her or him for needing a few basic clothes during a pandemic, and wanting to try them on. When I was without a single pair of usable sneakers I was criticized because I didn't want cheap garbage, after getting a pair at Walmart that starting falling apart the second time I wore them. Why it's OK to buy shoes at Walmart or Target but bad to buy them at a shoe store never made sense to me.

I am guessing all the sizing disparities are due to whatever Chinese factory they get switched to for lowest job bid. Last year, I bought two long sleeved Land's Ends cotton t-shirts for layering; the arms literally went way past my hips as if made for chimps.

Yeah, Land's End used to be my go-to. Not anymore. Sad!

I'm just really trying not to buy anything until things open back up. Making everything I have last. I need jeans, but will just wear these ratty ones until I can try some on. Hard to fit.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Land's End used to be my go-to.
    I tend to buy multiples of the same item, when I find something that fits well. I have about a dozen crew neck lightweight long sleeve T's from Lands End. Lands End is pretty good about describing the fit of a particular garment- there's a close fit, a regular fit and a loose fit. The close fit works for me, but the loose fit looks like I'm wearing a frumpy tent.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    I tend to buy multiples of the same item, when I find something that fits well.
    Yes, I do that, and my go-to (also from LLBean which appears to be somewhat of a favorite here) is this hoodie jacket that checks all the boxes: it's light but warm, makes for good layering for outside, and is warm inside; it has zippered pockets; it has a hood; it zips as opposed to being a pullover. I have three of them and I wear one of them just about every day.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1220...recsbottom.pdp
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I am guessing all the sizing disparities are due to whatever Chinese factory they get switched to for lowest job bid. Last year, I bought two long sleeved Land's Ends cotton t-shirts for layering; the arms literally went way past my hips as if made for chimps.
    I have a lot of stuff made in Vietnam and other SE Asia countries besides China.

I should have also mentioned that I also read reviews closely when available. Reviewers will often say what size they are, and LL Bean even lets you apply some filters to the reviews. Recently, for example, I was interested in a sweatshirt from LL Bean. The smallest size was too big for someone who outweighed me by about 10 lbs, so I decided it wasn't for me. I know this isn't an exact science, but it can help give me an idea if something runs large or small.
    By the way, these discussions make me feel better about having too many clothes. Even when I need something, I usually "need" it rather than NEED it. I have every confidence that I'll be able to try on clothes in person before I am reduced to wearing rags.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Yes, I do that, and my go-to (also from LLBean which appears to be somewhat of a favorite here) is this hoodie jacket that checks all the boxes: it's light but warm, makes for good layering for outside, and is warm inside; it has zippered pockets; it has a hood; it zips as opposed to being a pullover. I have three of them and I wear one of them just about every day.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1220...recsbottom.pdp
    I like those and they are on sale! Catherine, you are a bad influence!

Thread Information