Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying Clothing online

Buying Clothing online

I am finding this very challenging!

Back story- I haven’t bought any clothes since I retired 3.5 years ago. The jeans and tees and sweaters I wore to work became every day wear. And, for the most part, they are now worn out. Plus I lost some weight so some things no longer fit.

Cue: pandemic shopping. Online. What a disaster, and So Frustrating!

I’ve tried just ordering, and ordering brands and sizes I already have.... neither approach is working at all. Cut differently, sized differently, fabric- yuck, just Yuck! I hate synthetics with a passion, they make my skin crawl. But a Lot of the online descriptions don’t even include fabric identifications! I got what was supposed to be jeans- made of crepe!

I’m looking for suggestions, clues, tried-and-true, anyone? How can I buy at least a couple pairs of pants and a couple of tops?
    heeeelpp!

Yppej
    Do you have things you like where the label hasn't worn itself into illegibility? If so you could get the same, a size down if need be. (Unless you're like me and get annoyed by tags and rip them out.)

In the summer I wore my lightest weight shorts and top to the store and tried clothes on over them.

Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    I am finding this very challenging!

Back story- I haven’t bought any clothes since I retired 3.5 years ago. The jeans and tees and sweaters I wore to work became every day wear. And, for the most part, they are now worn out. Plus I lost some weight so some things no longer fit.

Cue: pandemic shopping. Online. What a disaster, and So Frustrating!

I’ve tried just ordering, and ordering brands and sizes I already have.... neither approach is working at all. Cut differently, sized differently, fabric- yuck, just Yuck! I hate synthetics with a passion, they make my skin crawl. But a Lot of the online descriptions don’t even include fabric identifications! I got what was supposed to be jeans- made of crepe!

I’m looking for suggestions, clues, tried-and-true, anyone? How can I buy at least a couple pairs of pants and a couple of tops?
    heeeelpp!
    First of all, are you a different size? Aka tall, petites, etc?

Have you measured yourself before ordering and used the size chart?

If stores in CA are open, I would bite the bullet and go shopping. Since you’re retired, first thing in the morning when tbey open on a weekday would probably mean fewer people in the stores. Do you have Kohl’s in CA? Good for basic jeans and tops.

My clothes pretty much all come from Talbots or REI.

I am typically leery of buying clothes online since I'm not an easy fit. I am the most willing to take a gamble with LL Bean, because they do free shipping and free return shipping if I use my LL Bean credit card for the purchase. So all I really risk is time/effort to bring a package to the UPS store for a return. I don't know what other merchants might do this.
    I've also occasionally used online chat to get more specific details on an item (e.g. fabric, measurements).

I hate the inability to assess fabric too. And yes, searching for fabric content—good luck! I hate poly too.
    I settle for cotton blends, but never really know how much cotton is in the garment until It gets here.

When I find a garment I like, usually used, I have jumped on eBay and tried to find others just like it but never any luck.

I have had really good luck with clothes from Chico fitting. Since they are expensive I wait for big sales. I got a 84 sweater for 19. Everything has fit me even pants. The only 2 items that didn’t fit were jeans. I returned them to the store versus shipping to avoid the cost.

With Talbots you can also return to the store.

Big sales right now. But they’re expensive.

You might be better off with LL Bean if you’re just looking for simple tops and bottoms.

Last time I went to get a pair of pants (during Covid), you weren't allowed to try the clothes on. I lucked out in that what I bought fit okay enough to keep. I don't have very good luck ordering online.

Good luck!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Chico lets you try on which is what I did to get jeans. I wonder if it varies by state.

My everyday clothes are looking raggedy too. The only thing that ever comes close to fitting are my usual PM size in Land's End and Talbot's but as you say, not consistently. I have sometimes looked at Poshmark for items I wore in the past but haven't tried ordering yet. Seems high for used clothing. Everything else is a gamble so I always check the return policy first. My big hunt right now is an all or nearly all cotton sweatshirt (we keep the heat low) and I can't find one that isn't very expensive.

Thread Information