Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GeorgeParker just added bio infomation to his profile

GeorgeParker just added bio infomation to his profile

I put some who-I-am stuff in my profile and uploaded a squirrel picture as my avatar.

Glad you've given us a trial run and decided to stay!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    Interesting to read. What part of Texas are you in?

Interesting, GP. You have been a member since March 2014 so is this a new life for you as a poster or are you now simply choosing to post more? Just curious so feel free to decline to respond.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Interesting to read. What part of Texas are you in?
    The BIG part!!!

Actually I'm in Fort Worth.

I just read your bio.

What a coincidence about narrow boats! I am at this very moment, literally this moment, trying to decide if I will buy a painting of a narrow boat I have been looking out for some weeks now. It is to memorialize our narrowboat vacation many years ago.

Is was always my goal toSpend a week on an English canal as well as stay in a couple of specific castles in Scotland.

Our narrow boat experience was on the Shopshire canal. It was lovely but honestly it was very quiet and peaceful, slow moving, a little more countryside than I would’ve chosen. We did go through a few villages though. And then in several instances we were a mile or so from the village, so we would tie up the boat and walk into the village to buy groceries.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Interesting, GP. You have been a member since March 2014 so is this a new life for you as a poster or are you now simply choosing to post more? Just curious so feel free to decline to respond.
    I made a few posts in 2014 and did some lurking, but I was still working 50-60 hours/week back then and the rest of my life was rather busy so I stopped coming here in favor of more immediate needs.

Because I'm still listed as a member, I get an email from SLN every year on my birthday. And since I've now been retired a couple of years and I'm in the process of divesting myself of a lot of things I've acquired, and I'm getting ready to move 1400 miles to the place where all my relatives live, and I'm getting more into cooking for myself and stuff like that..... Well, it just seemed like a good time to start posting here again.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Our narrow boat experience was on the Shopshire canal. It was lovely but honestly it was very quiet and peaceful, slow moving, a little more countryside than I would’ve chosen. We did go through a few villages though. And then in several instances we were a mile or so from the village, so we would tie up the boat and walk into the village to buy groceries.
    There are a ton of narrow boat videos on YouTube, including a few about the history and restoration of England's canal system.

This is a rather nice primer of life on a canal boat. I love his accent and I double love the cookie jar next to his stove. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMKJR5n4gLw

This is one of my favorite series: https://www.youtube.com/c/floatingourboat They're a very natural down-to-earth couple and there's a lot of variety in their video's. To me, watching their videos is like getting a video-letter from an overseas aunt and uncle.

The closest thing to a narrow boat in America is living on a houseboat on a river, but that's a whole different animal for a variety of reasons. Still I do get some tiny-house notions and inspirations from small-houseboat floorplans and videos. And this shanty boat video is interesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OttgPFvGQYI It gives a bit of history and talks about the riverbanks becoming gentrified and the shanty boat people being displaced by condos, marinas, and touristy riverwalk shopping areas.

Shanty Boat.jpg <<-- This is the shanty boat in the video.

River navigation would be a whole different thing, yes. Rivers are more dangerous for humans.

The old European canals are peaceful and incite slow moving traffic. We were 50 years old at the time of our narrow boat vacation and we were the youngsters on the canal.

I can't dance worth a hoot, but I do it anyway

LOL. Same here.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information