Thread: A different kind of tiny-house -- narrow boats and shanty boats

A different kind of tiny-house -- narrow boats and shanty boats

This subject popped up in the thread about my updated SLN profile, but this forum seems more appropriate for it so I've copied it here:

There are a ton of narrow boat videos on YouTube, including a few about the history and restoration of England's canal system.

This is a rather nice primer of life on a canal boat. I love his accent and I double love the cookie jar next to his stove. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMKJR5n4gLw

This is one of my favorite series: https://www.youtube.com/c/floatingourboat They're a very natural down-to-earth couple and there's a lot of variety in their video's. To me, watching their videos is like getting a video-letter from an overseas aunt and uncle.

The closest thing to a narrow boat in America is living on a houseboat on a river, but that's a whole different animal for a variety of reasons. Still I do get some tiny-house notions and inspirations from small-houseboat floorplans and videos. And this shanty boat video is interesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OttgPFvGQYI It gives a bit of history and talks about the riverbanks becoming gentrified and the shanty boat people being displaced by condos, marinas, and touristy riverwalk shopping areas.

Shanty Boat.jpg <<-- This is the shanty boat in the video.
    It has an outboard motor and a registration number on the bow which means the powers that be have inspected it and OKed it for use on public waterways, even though it's totally homebuilt.
    Last edited by GeorgeParker; 1-23-21 at 6:02pm. Reason: Added the last two lines

Tiny houses have been explored on different threads on SLF but none caught my fancy. That shanty boat is a possibility though because one would have space and room to breathe. A number of people live year-round on their boats very successfully even in cold weather so why not a shanty boat?
    Fun discussion!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I watched part of one of these YouTube videos, the one by the former journalist, and will come back later for more.

I just love those narrow boats. I would love to take some kind of vacation in England and spend some time on one. They just charm the socks off me.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    I just love those narrow boats. I would love to take some kind of vacation in England and spend some time on one. They just charm the socks off me.
    That had always been a goal of mine. For my 50th birthday we spent a week on the Shropshire Union canal in a narrow boat. That vacation was called “castles and canals “because we also stayed in a couple of Scottish castles.

Thread Information